Security

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Multi-server ClearPass Deployment

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Multi-server ClearPass Deployment

Posted Jul 25, 2013 03:09 PM

I am building our new clearpass server cluster(s) and have just discovered that access tracker is independent with each subscriber. In other words, it is not all aggregated to the publisher. Since load balancing across the subscribers is recommended by Aruba, what is the recommended method for tracking a user's authentications throughout the day? It is not easily determined which subscriber the user's authentication will take place (since a centralized load balancer is used). Is this where the Insight product is used? I've touched on it a bit, but I'm not finding a place to show all the authentications.

Anyone else with a multi-server clearpass deployment with whom I could consult?

• 2.  RE: Multi-server ClearPass Deployment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 25, 2013 03:11 PM

We have requested the option to search all cluster members in access tracker. Currently we have to flip between them when searching.

You could use the Insight search feature as well which tends to allow a lot more search options.

The nice thing with insight is there are preconfigured templates for failed auths by authentication type.

cp-insight-templates.png

cp insight.png

• 3.  RE: Multi-server ClearPass Deployment

Posted Jul 25, 2013 04:33 PM

Using insight though, how can I tell on which subscriber an auth failure occurred? This would allow me to then dig into that subscriber, into the failed auth, and read the detailed logs on why they failed (which is NOT available in insight). Any ideas?

• 4.  RE: Multi-server ClearPass Deployment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 25, 2013 09:46 PM

Good point. Feature request!

• 5.  RE: Multi-server ClearPass Deployment

Posted Jul 26, 2013 12:50 AM
    Dang...I was really hoping this was already there. (Aruba, insert comments here.) Sadly, I'm finding that once again, we have an application that lacks good network-wide visibility.

• 6.  RE: Multi-server ClearPass Deployment

Posted Jul 26, 2013 12:39 PM

Tim, can you explain to me how you functionally use Insight? I'm realizing, too, that the search results don't even include timestamps! How on earth does one troubleshoot user authentications in a multi-server environment???

(Again, Aruba feel free to chime in with some advice here.)

• 7.  RE: Multi-server ClearPass Deployment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 26, 2013 01:00 PM

We're really only using Insight for trending/counts and time period reports, not really for troubleshooting.

• 8.  RE: Multi-server ClearPass Deployment

Posted Jul 27, 2013 12:58 AM

Sadly this was available in earlier code and from what i understand is coming back (no ETA).

Charlie