Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

OnConnect error: "No credentials to probe host."

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  OnConnect error: "No credentials to probe host."

Posted May 31, 2017 04:33 PM

Hello,

I'm trying to use OnConnect to perform a WMI probe of client machines when they connect.  I have the service set up with a Cisco 2960x on Clearpass 6.6.5.  When a client connects, the Access Tracker shows an alert from WebAuthService: "wmi: No credentials to probe host.
    Username is empty in the request".  I have authorization set up with an AD source that is successfully processing many other requests.  Any help would be most appreciated.

• 2.  RE: OnConnect error: "No credentials to probe host."

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 31, 2017 04:35 PM
    Did you define a WMI credential for the subnet?

• 3.  RE: OnConnect error: "No credentials to probe host."

Posted May 31, 2017 04:59 PM

Thanks Tim,

I revisited that section of the config, and changed the subnet from the user VLAN to the switch VLAN, and that partially fixed the problem.  Now the error I get is : "wmi: Skip probe since required port(s) [135] are not open on host. Username is empty in the request"

This persists if windows firewall has been configured to explicitly allow WMI on 135, and even when windows firewall is turned off.  The username for the subnet is definitely not empty.

• 4.  RE: OnConnect error: "No credentials to probe host."

Posted May 31, 2017 05:08 PM

By the way, I've ensured the username is allowed access to WMI via the wmimgmt utility. 

• 5.  RE: OnConnect error: "No credentials to probe host."

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 31, 2017 05:52 PM

Can you test from a remote machine using the same credential?

https://www.paessler.com/tools/wmitester

• 6.  RE: OnConnect error: "No credentials to probe host."

Posted Jun 13, 2017 02:59 PM

Yes, I have succeeded querying WMI on the target host with both the Paessler WMI Test tool, and the NetCrunch WMI Tool.  The error remains when using Clearpass.

• 7.  RE: OnConnect error: "No credentials to probe host."

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 13, 2017 03:02 PM
    Best to open a TAC case.