Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Onboarding clients using Cisco and HP switches

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  Onboarding clients using Cisco and HP switches

Posted Sep 12, 2015 08:14 AM

Hi,

I have a requirement where i need to integrate CPPM with Aruba controller, cisco switches (2900) and HP switches for Onboarding. Integration with Aruba wireless solution has been completed, but I am having a hard time integrating with Cisco and HP switches. Pls help with any solution documents or step by step guide to achieve this.

thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: Onboarding clients using Cisco and HP switches

Posted Sep 13, 2015 11:41 AM

specifially onboarding? are you going to onboard wired users? what exactly is the scenario here?

looking at the basic requirements for that you have to be able to do captive portal redirect. something i don't expect on a cisco 2900 (EOL for ages), or is it a more recent model? for the HP it depends on the model / firmware.

• 3.  RE: Onboarding clients using Cisco and HP switches

Posted Sep 14, 2015 03:06 AM

thanks for your reply. Requirement is to onbaoard wired users. Cisco switch- 2960 ; HP switch- 5500.

• 4.  RE: Onboarding clients using Cisco and HP switches

Posted Sep 14, 2015 03:25 AM

first of all i personally always get a bit annoyed when i hear the requirement is ... without a good argument. but that is up to you to get in to with the customer.

it seems both the cisco 2960 and hp 5500 support L3 http redirection.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11458526/not-working-central-web-authentication-switch-and-identity-service-engine

called portal in this HP document, it does mention: available only on the HP 5500 EI series.

http://h17007.www1.hp.com/device_help/H3C-Manuals/5500/5500-Configuration-Guide%28R2215%29.pdf

the general idea is you configure the switchport with dot1x and portal fallback. a non onboarded user will be redirected to the portal page on the CPPM and start the onboard proces there. during the proces you will probably  get a certificate to be able to do dot1x authentication after the onboarding proces.

this isn't the easiest of configs, it might be wise to look into working with your Aruba partner on this.

• 5.  RE: Onboarding clients using Cisco and HP switches

Posted Sep 21, 2015 12:40 AM
      |   view attached

Onboarding successfully tested on Cisco 2960. Enclosed configs where used on cisco switch. Looking forward to test on HP switches now, but cannot find any relevant documents. 

Attachment(s)

• 6.  RE: Onboarding clients using Cisco and HP switches

Posted Feb 15, 2023 11:10 AM

Hi, can you share the configuration on the Clearpass as well. I am having issue redirecting my user to the Onboard Captive Portal with Cisco Catalyst 9200

• 7.  RE: Onboarding clients using Cisco and HP switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 17, 2023 05:26 AM

You are responding to a very old post. If you configured captive portal redirects on your C9200 and you can't make it work, it may be best to work with your Aruba partner or Aruba support as without additional information it's hard to assist. If you have a look interactively with someone and check on the ClearPass what it returned and on the switch what is received and applied, it should be possible the quickly find and fix the issue.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.
    ------------------------------