Security

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Onboarding issues when using registration authority mode with SCEP to PKI

This thread has been viewed 19 times
  • 1.  Onboarding issues when using registration authority mode with SCEP to PKI

Posted Mar 31, 2017 11:48 AM

Hi,

when I configure Clearpass as a registration authority, I put in the SCEP URL and Challenge, then I fetch the CA cert and receive the chain as expected. 

When I go to the the device_provisionning php page on the client to onboard, I receive the following (regardless of device types)

Unable to extract certificate from SCEP response (error:0D07207B:asn1 encoding routines:ASN1_get_object:header too long
    error:0D0D106E:asn1 encoding routines:B64_READ_ASN1:decode error
    error:0D0D40CB:asn1 encoding routines:SMIME_read_ASN1:asn1 parse error)

From the PKI side the certs are issued and from Wireshark I see 200 accepts from the PKI :

cap scep.png

Thoughts on this ? 

Much appreciated,

• 2.  RE: Onboarding issues when using registration authority mode with SCEP to PKI

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 31, 2017 11:50 AM
    What type of PKI environment are you proxying to?

• 3.  RE: Onboarding issues when using registration authority mode with SCEP to PKI

Posted Mar 31, 2017 11:52 AM

Hi Tim,

Windows 2008 R2 PKI.

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Onboarding issues when using registration authority mode with SCEP to PKI

Posted Mar 31, 2017 11:55 AM

We are also using the same exact SCEP URL and Challenger for an MDM and it's working fine.

• 5.  RE: Onboarding issues when using registration authority mode with SCEP to PKI

Posted Mar 21, 2018 07:52 AM

Did you get this fixed? I have the same problem. I am using the SCEP in MobileIron and it works. When I use it in ClearPass I receive the same error as you.

I have changed the settings on the PKI server like described in Step 4 - point 3 and 4 from the website:

Configure and use SCEP certificates with Intune

• 6.  RE: Onboarding issues when using registration authority mode with SCEP to PKI

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 16, 2018 04:19 AM

I have the same problem too. Did anyone solve ?

ClearPass 6.6 and Windows Server 2016

> the following Error message in ClearPass GUI

Unable to extract certificate from SCEP response (error:0D07207B:asn1 encoding routines:ASN1_get_object:header too long
    error:0D0D106E:asn1 encoding routines:B64_READ_ASN1:decode error
    error:0D0D40CB:asn1 encoding routines:SMIME_read_ASN1:asn1 parse error)

• 7.  RE: Onboarding issues when using registration authority mode with SCEP to PKI

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 16, 2018 09:27 AM

We have not officially qualified ADCS 2016, but try adding mscep.dll to the end of the NDES URL.

Ex: http://certsrv/mscep/mscep.dll

• 8.  RE: Onboarding issues when using registration authority mode with SCEP to PKI

Posted Aug 16, 2018 04:25 PM

I found that this was caused by the HTTP proxy, when configured on ClearPass. 

In this case, I needed the proxy to retrieve updates, fingerprints etc and couldn't leave it blank but if I removed it, everything was working fine :) 

Cheers,

• 9.  RE: Onboarding issues when using registration authority mode with SCEP to PKI

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 17, 2018 10:02 AM

Tim and Overclock,

Thank you for prompt reply.

I already set the "http://172.31.xxx.xxx/certsrv/mscep/mscep.dll" for SCEP URL field.
    And I did not use the http proxy.

I'll try to check the configuration of Windows Server again.

• 10.  RE: Onboarding issues when using registration authority mode with SCEP to PKI

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 22, 2018 11:46 AM

I set up ClearPass 6.7 in the same environment, same ADCS server.
    It worked fine. Unfortunately 6.6.5 still shows an error.

Thank you for your adivices.

• 11.  RE: Onboarding issues when using registration authority mode with SCEP to PKI

Posted Sep 18, 2018 05:37 AM

I am still trying to get this configuration done. When I configure the Certificate Authority as Registration Authority and I add the SCEP URL:

https://pki/certsrv/mscep/mscep.dll

I also have the option to add a SCEP Challenge Password. The SCEP Challenge Password (as far as I know) can be obtained via the URL:

http://pki/CertSrv/mscep_admin/

I tried to add the CA with and without configuring a SCEP Challenge Password. Both options aren't working and I see the following error in the EventViewer on the Windows PKI server.

Without SCEP Challenge Password:

EventID 28 - The Network Device Enrollment Service cannot locate a required password in the certificate request. Either a password must be present in the certificate request or the certificate request should be signed with a valid signing certificate. The signing certificate must chain up to a trusted root in the Enterprise store. The signing certificate and the certificate request must have the same subject name or subject alternate name.

With SCEP Challenge Password:

EventID 29 - The password in the certificate request cannot be verified. It may have been used already. Obtain a new password to submit with this request.

I guess I have to troubleshoot the Windows PKI server instead of ClearPass.........

• 12.  RE: Onboarding issues when using registration authority mode with SCEP to PKI

Posted Sep 18, 2018 06:17 AM

I got it working by following the procedure in the blog post, but I am not sure what the impact is on the Windows PKI environment......

https://www.petenetlive.com/KB/Article/0000947#PWDOFF

Parts:

• NDES Disable Password Requirement.
    • NDES More Password Options and Renewing Certificates