Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Query Endpoint Repository for VPN device

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Query Endpoint Repository for VPN device

Posted Dec 17, 2019 09:48 PM

How do I query the endpoint repository for a device that presents no host mac address?

In my case, Cisco Anyconnect doesn't present this, only a Cisco AVPair of mdm-tlv=device-mac=XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX

I want to be able to query its Endpoint EMM attributes (ie. MDM Enabled).

• 2.  RE: Query Endpoint Repository for VPN device

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 18, 2019 02:05 PM

Try this (assuming you're on 6.8.0+):

1. Go to Administration > Server Manager > Server Configuration and select the ClearPass server.
    2. On the Service Parameters tab, in the Select Service drop-down list select RADIUS server.
    3. Scroll down to the Main parameters and select yes for the Parse Cisco-AVPair to get device mac option, and then click Save.

• 3.  RE: Query Endpoint Repository for VPN device

Posted Dec 18, 2019 06:29 PM

Ah thanks Tim. Currently on 6.7.12 - holding back on the 6.8 upgrade to the new year.

• 4.  RE: Query Endpoint Repository for VPN device

Posted Feb 15, 2020 04:00 PM

Tim, this is great!  However it overwrites the insightdb radius_acct.calling_station_id with the mac address of the client.  Now it seems I don't have access to the originating IP address of the VPN client unless this is getting written into the endpoints table now?

Update: I looked through the radius_acct, auth, endpoints and I can no longer find the origniating IP address of the client.  I guess I'll disable this for now as the originating IP is more important than the MAC for now. 

Tim, Can we find a way to get both the MAC and the originating IP?

Thanks!

• 5.  RE: Query Endpoint Repository for VPN device

Posted Aug 17, 2020 04:30 PM

Trying to leverage this feature.  I enabled the option under RADIUS server parameters to parse the Cisco-ACPair for the client's MAC address.  Looking at an authentication request from the ASA in my lab (ASA5505), the authentication request includes the Cisco-AVPair mdm-tlv=device-mac, but not device-public-mac.

I see this log in the ClearPass logs.

INFO RadiusServer.Radius - rlm_service: device-public-mac= value not present in any of Cisco-AVPairs

So it looks like ClearPass is parsing for device-public-mac, not device-mac.  Is there a specific version I need for this to work.

Running ClearPass 6.9.2