Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

RADIUS with Windows NPS without a client certificate?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  RADIUS with Windows NPS without a client certificate?

Posted Aug 31, 2012 05:06 PM

Is this possible? The users need to be able to login with their AD username/password but we don't have access to any of the machines so a client cert is not an option. Any ideas on how to make this work with an Aruba controller? Anything special?

• 2.  RE: RADIUS with Windows NPS without a client certificate?

Posted Aug 31, 2012 06:18 PM

A client cert is not required.  You can disable the requirement to validate server certificate on the client's wireless configuration.  You still need a cert on the NPS server for 802.1x authentication.

-Mike

• 3.  RE: RADIUS with Windows NPS without a client certificate?

Posted Sep 01, 2012 10:28 AM

Yes its possible as mnarine said..

What you want to configure here is EAP PEAP which only requires a certificate on the server... a certificate with machine template works fine...

Just a question

Why you posting this on guest access forum? are you planning deploying this for guest access?
     whats the idea behind this?

Cheers

Carlos

• 4.  RE: RADIUS with Windows NPS without a client certificate?

Posted Oct 18, 2012 01:10 PM

Certainly possible using captive portal - we use it, and I'm not aware of any requirements for a certificate.

As far as I remember, you just put your NPS server in the profile.  I believe it defaults to NPS/RADIUS if user is not in the local database.

We offer a guest account that is rate-limited (in the local DB) and our other users just use their network credentials.