Security

last person joined: 7 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Radius CoA over Internet

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Radius CoA over Internet

Posted Jul 24, 2014 10:48 AM

Hello,

I am trying to get CoA over Internet working between CPPM and an Instant VC.

I'll change the IP adresses for the explanations :

- My CPPM Server is accessible with a public IP 1.1.1.1

- My Instant VC has the private IP adress 192.168.0.254

- The Public IP Address of the site where the Instant Cluster is 2.2.2.2

So,

I first added the Instant VC as radius client on CPPM with the name of Instant-Demo and the IP 2.2.2.2 (the public ip). I also chose Aruba and activated CoA.

Then I added on the Instant VC my CPPM Server (1.1.1.1) with the NAS-IP of 2.2.2.2 and the NAS-ID of Instant-Demo. I made sure to select RFC 3576.

Last thing I did was to add an IP forwarding rule on my firewall where the Instant Cluster is, to redirect port 3799 to 192.168.0.254, for traffic coming from 1.1.1.1 and arriving on 2.2.2.2.

When I try to disconnect a visitor from CP Guest, It is loading a few seconds and an error is appearing, telling me to check Access Tracker. When I try manually to send the CoA message from the access tracker, the 'Failed to contact Access Control Service' appears.

Also, the application log in CP Guest give me this error message :

Client:    2.2.2.2:6742
    App User:  admin
    Script:    /guest/guest_sessions.php
    Function:  NwaGuestManager_GuestSessions_Disconnect
    Arguments: array (
      'error' => 1,
      'message' => '{"content": {"cnc_actions": [{"status_message": "Radius [Aruba Terminate Session] failed for client 18af61cefdc8", "id": 1}]}, "id": "R000000b7-01-53d0fe74", "name": "cnc_response"}',
    )

Does anyone have an idea of what could cause the problem ? I tried to find a way to test if the CoA message was making it to the Instant VC, but without any success. (Is that even possible ?)

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,

nice2k. 

• 2.  RE: Radius CoA over Internet
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 24, 2014 12:57 PM

Simple plumbing question:

Is there a firewall rule for both directions? - not the NAT, but the permit statements

You will have to allow the iAP out to make Auth calls to CP on RADIUS ports, and separately allow CP in to make CoA calls to the iAP.

• 3.  RE: Radius CoA over Internet

Posted Jul 25, 2014 02:38 AM

Thank you for your reply.

I will verify this today with my security admin, and make sure I see matches on port forwarding rule.

I'll let you know.

• 4.  RE: Radius CoA over Internet
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 25, 2014 04:54 AM

Okay we found the problem. The firewall was only accepting 3799 TCP traffic, whereas CoA is using 3799 UDP so packets were dropped.  

Working perfectly now.

Thanks!

nice2k