Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Radius authentication to AD through Clearpass for my Avaya 5500 model network switches

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Radius authentication to AD through Clearpass for my Avaya 5500 model network switches

Posted Apr 03, 2014 03:46 PM

I am currently doing a POC for Clearpass and I'm trying to test some functionality by using Clearpass to help authenticate my Avaya/Nortel switch administration logins.  I'm currently using the 5500 series switches.  While setting the service in Clearpass to try to use AD, I can see the requests coming in but it can't seem to assign an Auth-Type to it.  I then tried to use local authentication (local db) and I have that working and authenticating correctly in CP but doesn't seem to be sending back the right stuff to allow the login.  Is there any documentation/white papers on this anywhere?  I've been scouring google for some pointers for quite sometime and nothing concrete yet.  Thanks for anything!

• 2.  RE: Radius authentication to AD through Clearpass for my Avaya 5500 model network switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2014 04:46 PM

Did you look at any RADIUS guides for Avaya?  I know that Airwave for us requires a VSA called "Aruba-Admin-Role" to be passed back matching the roles defined in Airwave.  Something similar perhaps for Avaya switching?

• 3.  RE: Radius authentication to AD through Clearpass for my Avaya 5500 model network switches

Posted Apr 04, 2014 01:05 AM

Have you tried the following:

For the Avaya 5500, you can set an Enforcement Profile that returns RADIUS IETF attribute Service-Type to either 6 or 7 for the following permissions.   I am not sure anyting more granular exists.:

- 6 returns Administrative (read/write)

- 7 returns NAS Prompt (read only)

• 4.  RE: Radius authentication to AD through Clearpass for my Avaya 5500 model network switches

Posted Apr 04, 2014 07:32 AM

Thanks for the reply guys, I'll give that a shot.  

• 5.  RE: Radius authentication to AD through Clearpass for my Avaya 5500 model network switches

Posted Apr 04, 2014 09:52 AM

Clembo, that worked perfect for passing the attribute back to the device!  Now the other thing that I had listed in my first post is the other thing I'm trying to figure out.  When trying to have this authenticate to AD instead of the local CP database, it doesn't seem to negotiate a correct Auth-Type on the CP side of things (I assume) but not sure.  When using the local DB, it uses PAP with no issues.  This isn't to say that there is something more I need to configure on the Avaya side, but I haven't found it yet if so.  Any other ideas?

• 6.  RE: Radius authentication to AD through Clearpass for my Avaya 5500 model network switches

Posted Apr 04, 2014 08:29 PM

The service should work with either local db or AD.   What is the error on the Alerts tab in Access Tracker when you try to auth against AD?

• 7.  RE: Radius authentication to AD through Clearpass for my Avaya 5500 model network switches

Posted Apr 07, 2014 07:54 AM

This is what the alerts tab says on an unsuccessful AD attempt.  Keep in mind a couple things:

- I am using AD auth on other profiles so I know all those settings are correct

- I have tried adding in all of the authentication methods by themselves to try each

Error Code:
    Error Category:
    Authentication failure
    Error Message:
    User authentication failed
     Alerts for this Request  
    RADIUSCannot select appropriate authentication method

• 8.  RE: Radius authentication to AD through Clearpass for my Avaya 5500 model network switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 07, 2014 08:30 AM

In the service, what authentication methods do you already have configured?  Try adding PAP if it is not already in there.

• 9.  RE: Radius authentication to AD through Clearpass for my Avaya 5500 model network switches

Posted Apr 07, 2014 08:52 AM

cjoseph, currently in the profile using the local db auth, I noticed that it was using PAP on those successful auths so I thought this would also work when switching it to AD Auth, but it doesn't.  Like I had stated, I've tried all of the different auth types by themselves in the profile and then tested and none of them seemed to stick.

• 10.  RE: Radius authentication to AD through Clearpass for my Avaya 5500 model network switches

Posted Aug 12, 2014 01:51 PM

BsFan14 try setting your AD auth source to "Allow bind using user password". 

This is what works for me with auth method of PAP. 

• 11.  RE: Radius authentication to AD through Clearpass for my Avaya 5500 model network switches

Posted Aug 13, 2014 04:46 PM

My Nortel 5520 Switch (V6.2.4):

• radius-server host 172.18.x.y
    • radius-server key ********
    • radius accounting enable
    • cli password switch telnet radius

in ClearPass ENF profile return this:

• Radius:IETF  Service-Type Administrative-User
    • ClearPass Radius Authentication for Nortel switch is PAP only, you have no other choice.
    • Port 1812 by default

Hope it helps!

if you are still having issue, would you mind to share your summary screen of ClearPass service