Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Redirect to a captive portal after a 802.1X fail

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  Redirect to a captive portal after a 802.1X fail

Posted Mar 05, 2018 04:58 AM

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if it's possible to redirect an user to a captive portal after an user connects to an SSID and fails to perform an 802.1X authentication. 

I think no, but maybe I'm wrong.

Thank very much for your help !

• 2.  RE: Redirect to a captive portal after a 802.1X fail

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 05, 2018 05:27 AM

Are you using this with machine + user authentication? You can certainly provide a different User Role if the User Authentication has failed. What is currently doing the authorisation for the client? Is it CPPM or a RADIUS server?

• 3.  RE: Redirect to a captive portal after a 802.1X fail

Posted Mar 05, 2018 05:43 AM

Hello ! Thank you very much for your reply. Today, there is nothing. I'm just wondering if there is a way to do it. 

The custumer would like one SSID for the employee. if the guest connect to the same SSID and can't perform a 802.1X authentication, then he's redirected to a captive portal. 

• 4.  RE: Redirect to a captive portal after a 802.1X fail
    Best Answer

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 05, 2018 05:59 AM

We'd have to assume that the RAIDUS server is sending a reject.

The problem is that the client will not be able to obtain an association to the SSID until some form of authentication has occurred. You would need a form of association in order to display the Captive Portal but this wouldn't have occurred you have not passed the authentication.  

I'd consider in the first case separating the Guest traffic entirely. To my knowledge even CPPM can't take action from a 802.1X deny/reject.

• 5.  RE: Redirect to a captive portal after a 802.1X fail

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 05, 2018 08:09 AM
    for wireless, no you cannot.

• 6.  RE: Redirect to a captive portal after a 802.1X fail

Posted Mar 28, 2019 03:44 AM

Can it be done with a wired connection? I am looking to do this with a Cisco 2960X switch and ClearPass 6.7.9.