Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Session Warning on Clearpass

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Session Warning on Clearpass

Posted Nov 21, 2012 08:54 AM
      |   view attached

Hi All,

I was originally looking for options that would result in a registered/connected guest being sent a friendly message BEFORE their account expires, along the lines of;

"your session will expire soon, and you'll need to register again, or do this blah blah"

Ideally, I supposed this could go back via a HTTP redirect or similar. If not, maybe email or SMS?

Reference the attached screenshot, I'm curious about the "session warning" option. Specifically...

The manuals are fairly limited in terms of information about it, but it seems to suggest a message of some sort can be sent to a guest user who is about to be kicked off in X minutes? This sounds right, but how on earth does it do it?

Anybody know?

• 2.  RE: Session Warning on Clearpass

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 21, 2012 09:22 AM

Did you check under STMP options, email receipt, customize email receipt?  Would that do what you want?

test.png

• 3.  RE: Session Warning on Clearpass

Posted Nov 22, 2012 01:11 PM

Is that option linked to the timer in the page/screenshot I attached? Granted, the screenshot if from a Dell re-skinned version, but it should look similar?

I suspect it would be, which leads me to believe the users can only be warned about sessions timing out by way of email and NOT a HTTP pop-up (or even SMS)?

Like I say, I'm not even sure how the Clearpass could even theoretically achieve a pop-up warning after logon on a client browser?

So, assuming it's email only, the only way this customer (that I'm working on) would find that useful is if the CC field could be formated to always CC the original sponsor? Can the CC field reference a relative value, such as "CC field = orginal user sponsor email" (dynamically)?

• 4.  RE: Session Warning on Clearpass

Posted Nov 22, 2012 01:16 PM

I should probably add something to this by way of customer comment...

What they said was, they didn't think the guests would appreciated being logged out automatically and without friendly warning (when their session ages out). And that we couldn't assume they'd be looking at email OR SMS.

They'd probably be face-booking or whatever, then just getted dumped off as a result.

What they said, was that it would be nice if it was more graceful. I.e. with 10 minutes left, they get an onscreen prompt saying "you've only got 10 minutes left!, click here to re-subscribe...".

I can't think how the product would achieve this, hence the question?

• 5.  RE: Session Warning on Clearpass

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 22, 2012 01:50 PM

There is a way to display how much time the user has left every time the user logs in.  That, combined with an email, say 1/2 hour before the user is to be disconnected would probably fit the bill.