Security

Occasional Contributor II

Static host list and serial number

Hello ,

for PXE boot , for new machines , its a challenge for a normal user to know the mac address without havingOS image . 

Can we do Static host list on basis of serial number , so if user called IT and give serial number , IT can allow or customize Static host list or any other related attribute , so that the user gets the image ?

Guru Elite

Re: Static host list and serial number

No. Static Host Lists are for IPs or MAC addresses.

| Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security | @timcappalli | timcappalli.me |

NOTE: Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.

Can we use authorization as sccm and query to serial number ? Assuming IT has added serial number in sccm
Guru Elite

If the MAC address is populated in SCCM, sure.

NOTE: Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.

I am looking for something other than Mac address as authorization from sccm which user can easily tell the IT guy like serial number , user name etc .and then based on it ,it opens MAB for the user to download the image .

Basically I am looking for some easy sort of authorization for end user having a new machine .

We are a large entity and no prior info is available with IT which is centralized at a remote location .
Guru Elite

The MAC address is the only thing presented to the network during a MAC authorization and is thus required.

Hi Tim ,

We have predefined pxe ports and we will allow all mac address for those but we need a precheck before allowing mab
Guru Elite

You still need the MAC address. It is the only identifier available.

MVP
MVP

An option could be to use the endpoint database with a custom attribute instead of using static hostlists. So you get a single-points of resource. But you still need the mac-adresses of your clients that you want have a "tagged" attribute.

Screen Shot 2019-03-10 at 20.10.17.png

Kind Regards Marcel Koedijk
HPE ASE Flexnetwork | ACMP | ACCP - Was this post usefull, Kudos are welcome.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: