Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

TACACS Command Authorization/Restriction

This thread has been viewed 34 times
  • 1.  TACACS Command Authorization/Restriction

Posted Jan 20, 2016 03:25 PM

I am using ClearPass to authorize commands on Cisco devices per AD group.  For the read-only group, I am putting the user into priv 15 and then permitting/denying the specific shell commands.  This way I do not have to configure separate privilege levels on each of the Cisco devices.  I would like users in the read-only group to be able to "clear counters" on interfaces but NOT allow them to "clear IP <anything>".  I have tried creating what I thought would work (pasted below) but it will not allow me to specify an interface after the "counters" argument.  Is there a wildcard entry that I can add that would solve my problem?

Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 2.23.12 PM.png

• 2.  RE: TACACS Command Authorization/Restriction

Posted Jan 21, 2016 11:09 AM

Have you tried re-structuring the commands as below:

Capture.JPG

• 3.  RE: TACACS Command Authorization/Restriction

Posted Jan 21, 2016 12:18 PM
    • I have copied what you had but it does seem to allow "clear ip <argument>"
    • I then removed the third entry; the "clear" with no arguments and a permit and then nothing is allowed through
    • from my experience, it seems that the "command" entry can only have the first word of the string, adding anything else seems to be ignored

• 4.  RE: TACACS Command Authorization/Restriction

Posted Jan 28, 2016 09:43 AM

* bump *

Would anyone have any ideas on this?  I cannot seem to allow "clear counters *" without allowing "clear *"

• 5.  RE: TACACS Command Authorization/Restriction

Posted Jan 28, 2016 09:53 AM

The only other way I could see this working is as below:

Capture.JPG

Sorry I don't have a test lab to try this out on at the moment so these are just suggestions.

• 6.  RE: TACACS Command Authorization/Restriction

Posted Jan 28, 2016 11:52 AM

Thank you for your reply.  I have entered in the syntax exactly as you have described and here are the results:

- I am able to run "clear counters" but with no arguments after.  I cannot specify a particular interface

- I am prevented from running "clear ip *" which is what I am looking for

If there is a way to add a wild card somehow to the "clear counters" to allow our NOC to specify individual interfaces, that would complete my task.

• 7.  RE: TACACS Command Authorization/Restriction

Posted Feb 01, 2016 06:22 AM

Try changing the unmatched arguments to permit instead of deny and see if that fixes the issue.

• 8.  RE: TACACS Command Authorization/Restriction

Posted Feb 02, 2016 09:04 AM

Changing the unmatched arguments to permit now allows "clear *"  (clear <everything>)

• 9.  RE: TACACS Command Authorization/Restriction

Posted Feb 06, 2016 08:21 PM

I am looking for the same, it would be great if a wildcard can be used.  I want to be able to allow users in a certain Enforcement Profile to be able to run "show running-config interface *" but prevent them from running a "show running-config".  Unmatched Arguments allows the latter which is no good

• 10.  RE: TACACS Command Authorization/Restriction
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 23, 2016 12:59 PM

Wildcards are supported.. Basically have to use regexp style formatting in your arguments.

Example: Wildcards and Ranges 

You can use ".*" (period asterisk) in your argument field as a wildcard. For example if you want to limit configuration access to say uplink interfaces but not base port interfaces on a switch, you would use "interfaces 1/1/.*".

You can use "[X-Y]" (open bracket, range, close bracket) in your argument field as well. For example if you want to limit configuration access to say a range of ports such as GigabitEthernet 1/0/21 and 1/0/22, you would use "GigabitEthernet 1/0/2[1-2]".

• 11.  RE: TACACS Command Authorization/Restriction

Posted Aug 21, 2018 05:47 PM

While trying to setup a restricted command set for our NOC on a cisco 3850 I found that I couldnt match on GigabitEthernet 1/1/1. After some debuggin and a packet capture with the help of TAC it was discovered that CPPM wanted to see GigabitEthernet 1 1 1. No slashes.  Hope this helps someone. In the pic i have the wildcard setup for Gi1/1/1-4

Cisco 3850  ios3.6.7

aaa authorization config-commands
    aaa authorization exec default group tacacs+ local
    aaa authorization commands 1 default group tacacs+ if-authenticated
    aaa authorization commands 15 default group tacacs+ if-authenticated
    aaa authorization network default local group radius
    aaa authorization auth-proxy default group radius

CPPM 6.6.5.xxxx

Directions from brodiman

CPPM

In your enforcement profile

selected service = shell

privilege level = 15

In your commands tab

service type = shell

check enable to permit unmatched commands.

click add

command = show

argument = version

leave the rest default click save and test.

cppm noc commands correct.JPG