Security

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Tracking which AP a guest requests access from.

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Tracking which AP a guest requests access from.

Posted Jul 16, 2013 01:50 PM

I work at a boarding school and we have AP's in all of our classrooms. We don't allow cell phones on campus for the boys. Recently we've run into a problem where they are continuously requesting guest access.

So my question to you guys, is it possible to track which AP unit gave out an IP address, or which AP a guest requested access at?

Thanks,

Joshua

• 2.  RE: Tracking which AP a guest requests access from.

Posted Jul 16, 2013 01:56 PM

Yes. Below command would give you about to which AP the client is attached and got the guest access from.

show user | include <ip address of the client>

show ap assocication client-mac< mac address of the client>

Thank you.

• 3.  RE: Tracking which AP a guest requests access from.

Posted Jul 16, 2013 02:25 PM

I know this isn't the question you're asking, but...

How does knowing the origin AP where the request came from help you? What problem are you really trying to resolve? If the problem is stopping persistent requests, I'm not sure how knowing this information gets you where you need to be?

We need to know two things to give you a good suggestion.

1. What problem are you trying to fix?

2. What products are you using (we might then ask about config)? I.e. Instant APs, controllers? Do you have Clearpass?

Also note that (unless you've got a very specific setup), it's unlikely your APs are giving out IP addresses.

Thanks.

• 4.  RE: Tracking which AP a guest requests access from.

Posted Jul 16, 2013 02:28 PM

It narrows down which classroom the kid is in, which allows us to shake down 19 students instead of 600 students. Being able to narrow it down really heps. (I figured out how to do it in the controller)

We just had our Aruba equipment installed last week, so we're stumbling through it. We have 105's for APs with 2 Domain Controllers. We do have clearpass as well.

We thought guest access was turned off on the AP's used by the cadets, but it doesn't seem to be.

• 5.  RE: Tracking which AP a guest requests access from.

Posted Jul 16, 2013 02:49 PM

Ahhh, I see.

So, until you get full control over your "business" process for service delivery (i.e. what you really want to do and where), would it help to turn off the guest service in some areas? Is that an option that would resolve the headache? That is achievable by way of help on here.

If not, you'd have to look at the Clearpass setup, so it was more restrictive on the registration process (which would stop the students attempting in the first place). That's a quite a big task, so probably not resolvable on here really (needs in-depth consultation). You'd need to ask your Aruba supplier for a view I would think.

Thanks.

• 6.  RE: Tracking which AP a guest requests access from.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 22, 2013 10:40 PM

You can probably create a report with ClearPass's Insight as well to show this for forensics.