Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Upgrading ClearPass Policy Manager on a Virtual Machine

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Upgrading ClearPass Policy Manager on a Virtual Machine

Posted May 03, 2013 10:36 AM

looking at the release notes and tech note i need to attach a new harddisk SCSI(0:2) of the same size before upgrading, can i ever remove this disk SCSI(0:2) again or remove the intial one SCSI(0:1)? of am i stuck with it?

what if i upgrade later on again, do i attach another disk? i.e. from 6.0.1 to 6.0.2 to 6.1.

• 2.  RE: Upgrading ClearPass Policy Manager on a Virtual Machine

Posted May 03, 2013 11:22 AM

EDIT:

Removing my original post due to some follow up posts with more relevant information; read below........

• 3.  RE: Upgrading ClearPass Policy Manager on a Virtual Machine

MVP
    Posted May 22, 2013 11:56 AM

Be careful here.

While clembo is technically correct, in reality, you need to keep the disk atached. If you remove the disk, you will not be able to upgrade your VM to the next version. 

I came across this issue in my Lab. I upgraded from 6.0.1 to 6.0.2 & removed the unised disk. Engineering confirmed there was no way tou upgrade that VM to 6.1 I needed to backup the configuration & restore it to a new VM.

• 4.  RE: Upgrading ClearPass Policy Manager on a Virtual Machine

Posted May 22, 2013 01:20 PM

Can you explain further?   You are saying your 6.1 upgrade required the first 6.0.1 disk to be attached?     I leave the original 15GB disk, but remove the disk that the legacy version of ClearPass was running on.    I'll see if I can reproduce it.

• 5.  RE: Upgrading ClearPass Policy Manager on a Virtual Machine

MVP
    Posted May 22, 2013 02:36 PM

That's exactly what I am saying. I had the issue with a CP-VA-500 in my test Lab. Here is a quote from Ticket 1409115, upgrading from 6.0.2 to 6.1.0.

We shall not be able to perform the upgrade on the affected server, As the SCSI 0:1 (/dev/sdb) which is labeled as Image1 and will be encrypted. The same entry is present on the fstab & Grub. Hence when we perform the upgrade, it shall not prepare the disk (Format the partition).

• 6.  RE: Upgrading ClearPass Policy Manager on a Virtual Machine

Posted May 23, 2013 02:07 AM

Hello Everyone,

There was a problem initially, with the upgrade image, when 6.1.0 was released. We have identified the problem and fixed it with a new upgrade image. You should be able to upgrade with the latest upgrade image present in the support site.

• 7.  RE: Upgrading ClearPass Policy Manager on a Virtual Machine

MVP
    Posted May 23, 2013 02:16 PM

based on Aruba's response, I am testing various scenarios on a 500 user VM.

1. 6.0.1 VM -> 6.0.2

2. remove disk SCSI 0:1

3. boot, & upload 6.1.0 upgrade file from support site, 

4. shutdown & add disk SCSI0:1

5. restart & try upgrade.

Errors:

INFO - Setting up upgrade area...
    ERROR - Setting up upgrade partition failed
    ERROR - Exception performing upgrade: Pre-install task=30-prepare-second-partition failed
    ERROR - Upgrade failed

I will also be testing other scenarios with 6.0.2P4 &, possibly, downloading the upgrade file from the upgrade server.

• 8.  RE: Upgrading ClearPass Policy Manager on a Virtual Machine

MVP
    Posted May 23, 2013 04:23 PM

I get the same error from 6.0.4 Patch 4(build 51259] that I get with vanilla 6.0.2 [Build 46902] using the 6.1.0 upgrade file from the support site.

I have not yet tried upgrading using the file from the upgrade server.

Perhaps the Aruba employee misunderstood the problem we are discussing.

• 9.  RE: Upgrading ClearPass Policy Manager on a Virtual Machine

MVP
    Posted May 24, 2013 09:27 AM

I just performed my final test from 6.0.2P4 [Build 51259] to 6.1.0 downloaded from the update server.

I get the same error as listed previously. The support ticket has now changed to getting the documentation updated to reflect the VM disk space needed for real work upgradng.

Sorry for the version typo in my last post.

I hate giving bad information, so I needed to test this again to see if there was a change made to address this.

Conclusion: After you upgrade your VM, you need to keep both disks if you want to successfully upgrade in the future.

• 10.  RE: Upgrading ClearPass Policy Manager on a Virtual Machine

Posted May 25, 2013 10:05 AM

thanks a lot all for testing this and sharing the information.

so if i ever go this route i will certainly keep the 2nd disk, my second question is when doing the 3rd update do i add a third disk i can't remove either?

• 11.  RE: Upgrading ClearPass Policy Manager on a Virtual Machine

MVP
    Posted May 25, 2013 10:37 AM
    The next upgrade will use the disk containing the previous OS version.