Security

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

User Derivation rules

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  User Derivation rules

Posted Jun 07, 2012 12:00 PM

Has anyone used this?

Does anyone got a manual on how to use this?

What i want to achive is this:

i got like 5 different Active Directory groups

I wan tto assign a different role depending in which AD group your user is...

let say i got these group on AD

Engineering

Sales

IT

Just using one SSID

Assign Engineering group the role of Engineering ROLE i got in my Aruba controller

Assign Sales group the role of Sales ROLE i got in my Aruba controller

And so on.

Does anyone got a manual on how to do this?

Or could tell me how to do it?

Right now im using NPS of windows 2008R2 using radius with a certificate and EAP  

• 2.  RE: User Derivation rules

Posted Jun 07, 2012 12:19 PM

I am assming you are doing PEAP on your SSID, right?  If so, have your RADIUS server pass back an attribute that includes "Engineering", "Sales" or "IT" (based on group membership).  Then, setup your Server Derivation Rule (SDR) like this:

Attribute: Class (or whatever other RADIUS attribute you are passing back, but Class is a good one)

Operation: value-of

Type: string

Action: set role

What that means is that upon successful authenticaiton, the controller will take what ever the RADIUS server sends back in the Class attribute (or which ever attribute you selected) and use it as the role for that user.

If you have the Aruba dictionary loaded on your RADIUS server, you can pass back Aruba-User-Role and the controller will automatically use that value as the user role without having to create an SDR.

• 3.  RE: User Derivation rules

Posted Jun 07, 2012 12:39 PM

What i got configured is simple right now...

On the windows raidus Server i got nps role installed

http://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/115/6113/1/Using+Microsoft+Windows+2008+Server+With+Aruba.pdf

That is what i got configured right now...

Instead of putting all the domain users i got a single group... which it works well if everyone that connect throught the wireless had the same role but this is not the case here... we would like to have like 5 different Active directory groups and for each Active directory group assigning a different role on the Wireless controller

• 4.  RE: User Derivation rules

Posted Jun 07, 2012 12:51 PM

You will need to configure several network policies in NPS.  Each will allow the same type of authentication (PEAP/MSChapV2, etc), but each one will have different group membership requirements.  If the user is in the "Sales" AD group, NPS will pass back "Sales" as the Class RADIUS attribute.  If the user is in "IT", NPS will pass back "IT" as the Class attribute (and so on...).

• 5.  RE: User Derivation rules

Posted Jun 07, 2012 01:00 PM

Olino Thanks for asnwering my tread!

I do understand that Olino

But its not workign for me theres something i got wrong somewhere...

This is what i got

On my NPS server i got on the filter ID=Ingenieria   Thats a ROLE i configured on my Wirereless controller

On my wireless controller i did what you said:

Attribute: Class (or whatever other RADIUS attribute you are passing back, but Class is a good one)

I set this on Authentication -->AAA Profiles--->NPS-aaa_prof(This ithe profile im using on my SSID)---> Server Rules

And in there i configured that what you said

Is it correct this part?

On the NPS Server i got

On the network policy i double click on my network policy on settings tab on radious attributes standards i clikc ADD and added selected filter-id --->i click edit on the filter ID and then i put the value of Ingeniria (which is the ROLE i got on my Aruba controller)

Is htere anything i got wrong?

I can giv eyou screenshoots of my config if you need to see it....

Or outputs?

Because for what i see, it looks really simple but there must be something im missing...

Im still getting the default role...

Its assignming the default role to my user

• 6.  RE: User Derivation rules
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 07, 2012 01:08 PM

You will have to use filter-id as the attribute in the controller OR return Class as the attribute from NPS.

Right now, NPS is returning the role name in filter-id, but the controller is configured to look for Class.

The return attribute from NPS and the attribute specified in the controller SDR have to match.

• 7.  RE: User Derivation rules

Posted Jun 07, 2012 01:11 PM

So on the controller should be like this?

Attribute: Filter-id

• 8.  RE: User Derivation rules

Posted Jun 07, 2012 01:14 PM

Yes, that should work.

• 9.  RE: User Derivation rules

Posted Jun 07, 2012 01:33 PM

Olino Thank you very much

Its working perfectly!

Thank you all aruba expert that help us  :)

• 10.  RE: User Derivation rules

Posted Jun 07, 2012 01:41 PM

Glad to hear its working!