Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

User and Machine authentication - Together not working

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  User and Machine authentication - Together not working

Posted Sep 01, 2019 04:18 PM

Dear Experts, 

I am trying to configure Machine authentication with User authentication. Please see below what i have achieved so far

Aruba Instant 8.3

1) Created 802.1x SSID and configured instant and CPPM accordingly

2) On windows 10 under 802.1x i selected user authentication only and authentication was successful, i got the required role etc

2) same windows 10 i selected computer authentication only and authentication was successful and got the required role etc

3) when i select user + computer authentication, it doesnt work. Nor my user nor my computer authenticates, any idea why? i have attached the snapshots of my roles, policies and access tracker result. 

My objective is simple for this case, i want the user to be authenticated and at the same time computer authenticated to receive role of IT.

• 2.  RE: User and Machine authentication - Together not working

Posted Sep 01, 2019 04:31 PM

I searched on this forum and found that wildcard cert is considered to be a culprit. In my case i am using wildcard certificate but please note that its working perfectly fine when i am doing either user OR computer authentication. This error is given only when i select "User and computer authentication" in windows 10 802.1x settings.

• 3.  RE: User and Machine authentication - Together not working

Posted Sep 01, 2019 04:48 PM

Sorry if it may seem like spamming. I am not validating server certificate in my wireless profile just for your information. Kindly advise where to look for the issue please

• 4.  RE: User and Machine authentication - Together not working

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 01, 2019 06:12 PM

If you're not validating the EAP server certificate in production, all of your users should immediately change their password.

Regarding your initial issue, correct, wildcard certificates are not supported as an EAP server identity. Acquire a new certificate and properly configure a GPO and then retest.

• 5.  RE: User and Machine authentication - Together not working

Posted Sep 01, 2019 08:09 PM
    Dear Tim,

Currently i am.testing this in my lab. As i mentioned, user OR computer
    authentication is fine, its when i combine them i cant authenticate.
    Secondly i have unchecked validate server certificate, so any idea whats
    breaking it now?

• 6.  RE: User and Machine authentication - Together not working

Posted Sep 02, 2019 02:48 AM

Dear Tim, 

If wildcards are not accepted, then how come my user and computer authentications are working fine individually. The issue only arises when i combine them

• 7.  RE: User and Machine authentication - Together not working

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 02, 2019 09:27 AM

They are not supported due to interoperability issues.

Please highlight what troubleshooting you have done or open a TAC case.

• 8.  RE: User and Machine authentication - Together not working

Posted Sep 11, 2019 01:08 PM

I got rid of wildcard certs. Can you help to share the sample config to achieve a simple task as below

If user's AD department is Marketing and also machine authentication is successful should receive Role X, where as if User's AD department is Finance and machine authentication is successful should receive Role Y. 

Normally the sample configuration i am seeing on internet are mostly calling for [User Authenticated] AND [Machine Authenticated], i am not sure how to assign different roles.

• 9.  RE: User and Machine authentication - Together not working

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 11, 2019 02:39 PM

You can either write a rule directly in enforcement that checks group members and combine with [Machine Authenticated] or you can use role mapping.

• 10.  RE: User and Machine authentication - Together not working

Posted Sep 11, 2019 03:28 PM
    Someone who hasnt done it before all this sounds very cryptic. We should
    have a culture of writing small tutorials to help those who may not
    understand the concepts that easily.

Machine authentication how to hasnt been updated since last 3-4 years, and
    at that time idea was to create some attribute in endpoints.

I think we should have more of these tutorials, and Tim i appreciate you
    dnt reply if you dnt have time to show some sample policies, please dnt
    consider it ur duty to just reply and make no sense at all.

• 11.  RE: User and Machine authentication - Together not working

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 12, 2019 11:50 AM

If you're not familiar with CPPM, I'd recommend you work with your Aruba Partner. This is not a replacement for partner services or Aruba TAC. Everything is best effort.

Tutorials are created by community members in their free time and cannot be "expected".

• 12.  RE: User and Machine authentication - Together not working

Posted Sep 12, 2019 12:10 PM

Dear Tim, forums are never expected to be replacement of professional services or TAC, but sometimes they do exceed expectations when it comes to community support. You dont have to look far away, just your neighbour and competitor Cisco. Look at their supportforums.cisco.com and you will know how eager everyone including Cisco employees and sometimes product managers are going off the way to support the posters regardless if they are customers, partners, SEs or merely a guy like me who wants to explore products in more detail. If Aruba hasnt provided any good resources that we can use for self study then the problem ilies with Aruba and their Clearpass TM team. The relevant team should spare their time to craft out more tutorials, self study guides to not only promote their products but increase overall comfort of the product which is clearly lacking. 

Simply saying what you have said is not enough. More work needs to be done on the guides etc to get other ppl quickly on board with your products. 

• 13.  RE: User and Machine authentication - Together not working

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 12, 2019 12:58 PM

OK then. I will refrain from trying to assist you until I am sitting at my laptop and can set up an environment to mirror your ask and provide screenshots.

Apologies for trying to provide some form of basic assistance in real-time.

• 14.  RE: User and Machine authentication - Together not working

Posted Sep 12, 2019 02:04 PM

Thank you Tim for taking it positively. You are my senior and i always respect your expertise. 

• 15.  RE: User and Machine authentication - Together not working

Posted Sep 12, 2019 01:16 PM
    Hi Ronin, I have learned alot of clearpass from the ABC networking video's on YouTube. Maybe you find them usefull as well.

• 16.  RE: User and Machine authentication - Together not working

Posted Sep 12, 2019 01:58 PM
    100% Agreed. Videos by Herman are indispensable. I have learned alot from
    them