Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Using AD Attributes to authenticate users at one location vs another

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Using AD Attributes to authenticate users at one location vs another

Posted Sep 04, 2015 03:44 PM

I have a deployment where I would like to use a specific AD Attribute to authenticate users at one particular location if their attribute matches a particular number.

Therefore all users having this attribute along with this number are allowed to authenticate at location A and nowhere else.

User's at location B will have the same attribute but with a different number.

The number can be a store #, dealer #, something that identifies which location they belong to.

Not too sure how to go about configuring this. We are using EAP-PEAP MSCHAPv2 to authenticate the users. I assume somewhere in the enforcement profile i will be validating against the attribute whether it is exists and checking the value and then how do i go about linking that number to the location?

The other thing is that if the attribute contains a specific word let's say 'allow', then this user can authenticate at all the locations.

I know this is possible but not too sure how to implement right now.

• 2.  RE: Using AD Attributes to authenticate users at one location vs another
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 04, 2015 03:47 PM
    Create a custom device attribute and add the same value to the NAD entries. So if location A was value 1, then add a custom attribute the NADs in that location with a value of 1.

Then you can just write a two rule policy. One that checks if those two values match. Another that looks for the all value.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 3.  RE: Using AD Attributes to authenticate users at one location vs another

Posted Sep 04, 2015 04:45 PM
    thanks now is that method scalable? I have about 200+ sites..

I'll give it a shot.

• 4.  RE: Using AD Attributes to authenticate users at one location vs another
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 04, 2015 04:52 PM
    Yes because you already have the NADs defined, you're just adding a single value. Your enforcement policy can be 2 rules total and handle all of those sites.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 5.  RE: Using AD Attributes to authenticate users at one location vs another

Posted Sep 04, 2015 08:32 PM
    In our environment, I added the location attribute for all of the devices to take preference over the closer Regional Clearpass. This is a very useful option.

• 6.  RE: Using AD Attributes to authenticate users at one location vs another

Posted Sep 08, 2015 10:17 AM
    k, thanks.
    Let me give this a shot and post back once I do or run into issues

• 7.  RE: Using AD Attributes to authenticate users at one location vs another

Posted Sep 08, 2015 01:42 PM

I believe I got it to work.

Took me a while to fully understand what you were saying Tim, it is not that obvious when you are looking at Clearpass from a n00b point of view but I figured it out.

Untitled.png

With these rules, if I modify the NAD to have "national" and my user has 12345, I am denied access, if I change my NAD to 12345, my user can connect.

This is blowing my mind for such as simple item.

Thanks all.

• 8.  RE: Using AD Attributes to authenticate users at one location vs another

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 08, 2015 01:44 PM
    Your rule would reference the variable for the entry in the device list, not a static value. That allows it to be completely dynamic for each store with only 2 rules.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 9.  RE: Using AD Attributes to authenticate users at one location vs another

Posted Sep 08, 2015 02:18 PM
    Ya trying to make it work currently, no success.

I have it doing something like this
    (Authorization: AD (no proxy):physicalDeliveryOfficeName EQUALS %{physicalDeliveryOfficeName})
     AND  (Device:dealer EQUALS %{dealer})

(Authorization: AD (no proxy):physicalDeliveryOfficeName EQUALS %{physicalDeliveryOfficeName})
     AND  (Device:dealer EQUALS national)

Not working yet…will continue to troubleshoot.

• 10.  RE: Using AD Attributes to authenticate users at one location vs another

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 08, 2015 02:21 PM
    Well that dealer value is stored as the AD attribute correct?

Thanks,
    Tim

• 11.  RE: Using AD Attributes to authenticate users at one location vs another

Posted Sep 08, 2015 02:30 PM
    The dealer value is stored in the device.

physicalDeliveryOfficeName is stored as the AD attribute.

​​​​​

• 12.  RE: Using AD Attributes to authenticate users at one location vs another

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 08, 2015 02:39 PM
    Right, but those are the two values that should match to allow access, correct?

Thanks,
    Tim

• 13.  RE: Using AD Attributes to authenticate users at one location vs another

Posted Sep 08, 2015 02:45 PM
    Yes, sorry my bad misread your question.

Those 2 attributes should match for a user connecting at location A, if the user is at location B, they should not connect.

The "ALL" is fine since every user will have the word "national" as an attribute value

• 14.  RE: Using AD Attributes to authenticate users at one location vs another

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 08, 2015 03:02 PM

So your first rule would look like this (replacing the attribute names with yours):

pmonardo-dealer.JPG

• 15.  RE: Using AD Attributes to authenticate users at one location vs another

Posted Sep 08, 2015 03:23 PM
    I see where I went wrong. Thanks this worked.

I'll modify the ALL now.

• 16.  RE: Using AD Attributes to authenticate users at one location vs another

Posted Nov 13, 2015 11:05 AM

[edit] spelling..

One more quick question regarding this.
    After creating the attribute in the network device.
    In the enforcement policy now where I am checking against the %{Device:dealer} and "national"
    I know this may be trivial, but how would I REGEX for the word national.
    I saw a string like this for example:
    'CH National/ 123 miller avenue'
    Obviously this does not meet the requirements because it does not have the word 'national' only but it contains it.
    Anyway to simple regex the crap out of it so the user can authenticate?

• 17.  RE: Using AD Attributes to authenticate users at one location vs another

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 13, 2015 11:08 AM

You should be able to use the MATCHES_REGEX operator.

• 18.  RE: Using AD Attributes to authenticate users at one location vs another

Posted Sep 08, 2015 01:53 PM
    I just need to make it wildcard based so that I don't have to type in the value manually.
    Each location will have a different attribute value so checking against a static value is not going to work for me