Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

VIA client loses profile randomly

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  VIA client loses profile randomly

Posted Mar 11, 2020 03:58 PM

Hi,

we’re rolling out VIA client in our new Windows 10 build; seems to work ok most of the time. But now and then we notice the profile corrupts and users need to clear profile and start again to connect. Then it’s fine again

anyone else seen this bug?

• 2.  RE: VIA client loses profile randomly

Posted Mar 17, 2020 11:24 AM

Update for this:

Find this only happens when users go from the office (where VIA knows it’s trusted) to home (where it becomes untrusted)

in the VIA profile, where I state the servers I have put:

1. Public DNS | Internal IP (inside address of controller)

2. Public IP | Internal IP (inside address of controller)

I purposely put DNS and Public IP separately in different entries for the profile download. 

Will this be ok? I have that public DNS also entered privately on my network - is the inside address of my controller internally and the public IP address of controller externally to the world?

Wondering if this is causing issues? Thanks 

• 3.  RE: VIA client loses profile randomly

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 17, 2020 11:29 AM

I would have a single profile with just the internal and external ip addresses for now...

• 4.  RE: VIA client loses profile randomly

Posted Mar 17, 2020 11:31 AM

Would this affect people being able to download that profile internally? As in when they’re in the office and we’re building laptops for them?

Or does the profile know to use the internal IP address field when the controller is approached for a profile download?

does that make sense?

• 5.  RE: VIA client loses profile randomly

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 17, 2020 11:35 AM

Please see in detail how the via client works here:  https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Monitoring-Management-Location/How-VIA-Works/ta-p/176464

After that, come back and ask your questions.

• 6.  RE: VIA client loses profile randomly

Posted Mar 17, 2020 12:11 PM

Thanks - that’s a really good guide to be fair. 

However, after reading that - I am still unsure why we are seeing the behaviour we are on our controller. When users jump to untrusted networks; the VIA client freezes and stops functioning. 

It’s like it’s detected an untrusted network and then something stops it dead in its track. Clearing the profile down fixes this issue and it happily connects after this procedure. 

Have you ever seen that before? 

• 7.  RE: VIA client loses profile randomly
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 17, 2020 12:15 PM

If the application freezes, I would open a TAC case for further investigation.  We can only talk about how things are supposed to work here.  If it doesn't work in that way, that suggests a bug and TAC should look into that.

You didn't say what operating system we are talking about, how users "jump" to an untrusted network, or the exact sequence of events.  It is hard to say what is going on without specific information, which is why TAC is better equipped to trace your steps, your configuration and your logs to understand what could be happening.

• 8.  RE: VIA client loses profile randomly

Posted Mar 17, 2020 01:13 PM

Fair enough - thanks for your help