Security

New Contributor

VIDEO ON CAPTIVE PORTAL

Hi, we are having an issue integrating a video on our captive portal. I have read all relative posts and still fails to give me a clear solution on our porblem.

We are trying to make a video as our captive portal. When the video ends, the user is authenticated and is redircted on a target URL. This part we have achieved. The problem we are facing is that the video only seems to play on IE. other browsers/devices doesnt seem to recognize the video somehow. The frame is there, it just displays a broken file logo.

Testing this on a laptop works. The laptop connects to the SSID and automatically launces IE. everything works. But when we try to replicate this on chrome and other devices such as android and iOS, we get that frame with the broken file logo.

Hope someone could help us on this.

MVP Guru

Re: VIDEO ON CAPTIVE PORTAL

The portal browser that automatically pops up when a portal is detected is in many cases very locked down regarding running scripts. Also, many modern browsers prevent the video from playing automatically.

What you could do is check if you have a full Chrome, Safari, Firefox, etc, and manually navigate to your captive portal page (without the redirects active), if it works then, you can try to ignore the popup for the captive portal (many times you can 'use the network as it is'), and then retry with the full browser. If it then works with the full browser but not in the popup, it is probably that the popup browser just blocks your active code.

--
If you have urgent issues, please contact your Aruba partner or Aruba TAC (click for contact details).
New Contributor

Re: VIDEO ON CAPTIVE PORTAL

Hi Herman, first off, thank you for being the first response to my first post here on airheads. Kudos to you!

@Herman Robers wrote:

The portal browser that automatically pops up when a portal is detected is in many cases very locked down regarding running scripts. Also, many modern browsers prevent the video from playing automatically.

This i found to be true in the past 3 days of troubleshooting.

What you could do is check if you have a full Chrome, Safari, Firefox, etc, and manually navigate to your captive portal page (without the redirects active), if it works then, you can try to ignore the popup for the captive portal (many times you can 'use the network as it is'), and then retry with the full browser. If it then works with the full browser but not in the popup, it is probably that the popup browser just blocks your active code.

We will try this workaround you suggested. Right now we just used a gif file to cater to any device/browser. We converted one of our videos and it works.

We uploaded our own captive page with a script that triggers login submission after setTimeout(). Hope this helps others with the same issue. Thanks again!

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: