Security

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

When is the data port mandatory in CPPM?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  When is the data port mandatory in CPPM?

Posted Jul 26, 2017 01:53 PM

Hello experts,

CPPM has the management port and data port. Management port is used for administration and data port for processing user authentication traffic. However, the configuration of the data port is optional and if not configured, the management port is used for both administration and processing user authentication traffic.

Herman Robers also says " I tend to avoid dual interface whenever possible." in the following post:

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Security/SMTP-Error-quot-Must-issue-a-STARTTLS-command-first-quot-in/td-p/301807

Then, when is the data port mandatory in CPPM? It seems more complicated when configuring both ports since more problems may appear. Or is there any advantage of using the data port?

Regards,

Julián

• 2.  RE: When is the data port mandatory in CPPM?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 26, 2017 01:54 PM

It is never mandatory.

• 3.  RE: When is the data port mandatory in CPPM?

Posted Jul 26, 2017 02:55 PM

Well, I know it is not mandatory, maybe my (first) question was not clear. I mean, why or when would I opt for using the data port? Is there any advantage of using it?

Regards,

Julián

• 4.  RE: When is the data port mandatory in CPPM?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 26, 2017 04:55 PM

Some customers use it to straddle multiple networks to provide different services. In most cases, just the management interface is fine. Using both adds unnecessary complexity for most deployments.

• 5.  RE: When is the data port mandatory in CPPM?

Posted Jul 26, 2017 05:04 PM

OK, thanks for clarifying.

Regards,

Julián