Security

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Why to enable MAC authentication on Controller for MAC Caching with ClearPass?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Why to enable MAC authentication on Controller for MAC Caching with ClearPass?

Posted Jul 24, 2017 05:48 PM

Hello everyone,

I have read and tested MAC Caching in ClearPass in order to ClearPass learn the MAC address of clients and to avoid they authenticate every time they connect to a guest network if they were already connected to it. In adittion to create the appropriate service in ClearPass, it is also necessary to enable MAC authentication on the controller, but why? I mean, all the authentication and learning of the MAC address takes place in ClearPass, and regardless of MAC authentication is enabled on the controller, the client MAC address is sent to ClearPass when the user connects to the network within the "Radius:IETF:Calling-Station-Id" field, which is enough for ClearPass to check if the client was before already connected to the guest network or not.

Then, why to enable MAC authentication on the controller for this feature to work? Or what does this feature do in the controller? I have read on the controller guide but there is only explanation of how to enable it and not what does...

Regards,

Julián

• 2.  RE: Why to enable MAC authentication on Controller for MAC Caching with ClearPass?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 24, 2017 05:52 PM

MAC caching prevents someone who still has a valid account from getting the captive portal. It's also used for the same purpose with device registration.

The result of the MAC authentication says whether the user should be redirected to a captive portal or sent to their final state.

• 3.  RE: Why to enable MAC authentication on Controller for MAC Caching with ClearPass?

Posted Jul 24, 2017 06:02 PM

Hi Tim,

Yes, I know that background I have tested as well. But what I don't understand is why I have to enable MAC authentication on the controller as well? Or in other words, why doesn't MAC caching work if MAC authentication is disabled on the controller?

Regards,

Julián

• 4.  RE: Why to enable MAC authentication on Controller for MAC Caching with ClearPass?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 24, 2017 06:04 PM

In order for ClearPass to perform a MAC authentication, the controller must send a MAC authentication request.

• 5.  RE: Why to enable MAC authentication on Controller for MAC Caching with ClearPass?

Posted Jul 24, 2017 06:19 PM

Thanks, one more question. I have these two rules in my MAC Authentication service:

macauthrules.PNG

I understand the second rule, but what does the first rule mean? What's the meaning of the "%{}" operators under the Value column?

Regards,

Julián

• 6.  RE: Why to enable MAC authentication on Controller for MAC Caching with ClearPass?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 24, 2017 06:29 PM

The username should be the client's MAC address.