Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Wildcard Certificates Master/Backup

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Wildcard Certificates Master/Backup

Posted Dec 18, 2013 05:49 AM

I've had a good look through the forums and this is more for clarification from anyone out there that has attempted this and either succeeded or failed.

I have two controllers (6000s) in master/backup. I have been provided with a wildcard certificate and whilst I can upload it to the controller, will it allow for the "magic" DNS resolution of the controllers CN without specifying anything prior to the *.mydomain.com?

If this does not work, I assume I can however generate a key and CSR with OpenSSL to obtain a new certificate, and use this with the same name on both controllers?

• 2.  RE: Wildcard Certificates Master/Backup
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 18, 2013 11:56 AM
    Yes indeed. This was precisely what I did. I used openssl to generate a certificate request work multiple sans (which represented multiple DNS entries), got it signed by a trusted CA then packaged it up into a pkcs12, then imported it onto the controller. I found the CSR generation on the controller to be a little limiting.