Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Wired 802.1X with a Self-Signed Client Auth Certificate

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Wired 802.1X with a Self-Signed Client Auth Certificate

Posted Aug 28, 2019 06:02 AM

We have a few Konica printers - these all support wired 802.1X and are configured for EAP TLS but present a self-signed certificate.  We would rather than have to manually install individual certificates from our internal CA on all printers.

We're wanting to auth these via ArubaOS switches (16.08) against a [new] ClearPass 6.8.2 cluster.

Hopefully I'm asking the right question...  Being self-signed, there's no way to put a root cert in the trusted cert store - is there any way to bring these in as unknown endpoints, then accept them and allow them to perform 802.1X rather than falling back to MAC auth?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Wired 802.1X with a Self-Signed Client Auth Certificate

Posted Aug 28, 2019 06:50 AM

There should be an option to import root CA cert on the printer.

ClearPass should have the same root certificate/chain trusted.

Not sure if it it applicable to your printer model, following link may help:

https://manuals.konicaminolta.eu/bizhub-C554-C454-C364-C284-C224/EN/contents/id08-0455.html

• 3.  RE: Wired 802.1X with a Self-Signed Client Auth Certificate

Posted Aug 28, 2019 03:22 PM
    Thanks JayBee. I have our root CA and issuing CA in the CPPM trusted store. I have also tried uploading these to the printer but no dice.

I believe the problem is the self signed client auth cert that is submitted - as it doesnt come from a chain that CPPM trusts - but I can’t see anywhere to turn this off.

Thanks,
    Ben.

• 4.  RE: Wired 802.1X with a Self-Signed Client Auth Certificate
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 28, 2019 03:45 PM

You'd have to import every self-signed certificate into the CPPM trust list.

You're better off using PEAP with a local user account.

• 5.  RE: Wired 802.1X with a Self-Signed Client Auth Certificate

Posted Aug 28, 2019 04:11 PM

Thanks for confirming this Tim, this is what I feared, yet suspected.

Cheers,

Ben.