Security

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

can i provision ClearPass with less than 500GB hard drive and expand it as i need%3F

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  can i provision ClearPass with less than 500GB hard drive and expand it as i need%3F

Posted Aug 22, 2014 05:07 PM

i currently have ClearPass Policy Manager CP-VA-5K which will be used for a 100 AP deployment in a office environment.  the ClearPass will be deployed as VM and i was wondering if i can provision 200GB of storage instead of 500GB (due to storage space limitation in the VM environment) and expand the storage at a later date?

would there be serious issues with running out of storage on ClearPass?

thanks in advance!

• 2.  RE: can i provision ClearPass with less than 500GB hard drive and expand it as i need%3F
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 22, 2014 05:12 PM

No, you cannot. ClearPass uses encrypted volumes and cannot be expanded. I can tell you from experience that you WILL run out of disk space if you don't follow the spec.

ClearPass is a product where you want to follow the spec to a T.

• 3.  RE: can i provision ClearPass with less than 500GB hard drive and expand it as i need%3F

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 22, 2014 05:14 PM
    No you cannot. The disk is encrypted and can't be expanded. You WILL run out of space. ClearPass is a product where you need to build to spec.

• 4.  RE: can i provision ClearPass with less than 500GB hard drive and expand it as i need%3F

Posted Sep 12, 2014 06:06 AM

**bleep**! really was hoping that you could expand the disk. Our VM people are reall questioning the spec of the 5K appliance, primarily the number of CPUs and the disk size. We are looking to have a cluster of 5 5K VM appliances ( 25K box horrendously expensive for academia) to get the license numbers up to the right ballpark for our wireless/wired network. In common with (probably) a lot of other sites, we have multiple ESX servers for the VMs with a NetApp storage appliance for the disk space used. Asking systems for 2.5Tb of storage for 5 clearpass servers did result in a squeak from the storage people.

Why do we need 500G ? is it just long term storage of historicsl stuff?

I guess we could just create another datastore on an nfs/iscsi device somewhere else and point the 2nd disk at that

• 5.  RE: can i provision ClearPass with less than 500GB hard drive and expand it as i need%3F

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 12, 2014 09:17 AM
    ClearPass keeps two instances of the server. Each is 250 GB. This allows you to roll back if an upgrade to a major code version goes south.

If storage is an issue, an appliance version is available.