Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

change publisher

This thread has been viewed 21 times
  • 1.  change publisher

Posted Mar 31, 2016 09:12 AM

We have a 4 server clearpass installation and I'd like to change the publisher to one of the current subscribers. Is there a document explaining this process? What is actually involved? Would it cause downtime?

• 2.  RE: change publisher

Posted Mar 31, 2016 10:02 AM
    What you could do is setup one of the subscribers as the Standby Publisher
    Please read this:
    Page 22 (Standby Publisher)
    https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/Command/Core_Download/Default.aspx?EntryId=15546 / CPPM TechNote - Clustering Design Guidelines V1
    http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ClearPass/Aruba_DeployGd_HTML/Content/5%20Cluster%20Deployment/Standby_publisher.htm

Make sure that the future Publisher has the same or better resources (Memory , CPU , etc..) of the current publisher .

• 3.  RE: change publisher

Posted Apr 01, 2016 01:03 PM

Thanks, all my servers are the same hardware. 

Is there  a way to force a failover without waiting the alloted time and calculations?

• 4.  RE: change publisher

Posted Apr 02, 2016 06:19 AM
    You can manually promote the subscriber and all the other nodes will be attached to the new promoted publisher.
    - First backup your current config
    - Check the release notes or contact TAC to see if there's any known issues with current code about promoting a subscriber to a publisher , I was able to do in the latest code 6.5.5
    - Go to Administration > Server Manager > Click on the subscriber and on the top right corner there's an option to promote the subscriber to publisher

In terms of downtime it depends on how much data it needs to sync from all the nodes , I suggest having an 2-3 hours downtime

You may need to contact support to re-activate licenses on the new publisher.