Security

Regular Contributor II

Re: clearPass beginner

Bourne,

Thanks for or kindly explanations.

I have deployed already several Controllers, but not in Clearpass.

I am not also an expert. I am with you : Experience is the thing :))

I will try to explore all or info and then get back to you

Thanks so much for your help.

Regards

Regular Contributor II

Bourne,

another simple questions.

IS it ok to have AP´s and clients on the same VLAN?

I have read on the VRD that AP`S should not have a dedicated Vlan..

I am a little confused since I will connect the 7210 to a core switch and will allow several Vlans to the internal Network .

I was assuming that I will connect the AP´s to the Client DHCP scopes and also create a large scope for the devices that are wilreless connected

Something like this :

100 Ap´s Dhcp 

Controller IP MGMT

Vlans for users ( agregated on a Vlan Pool)

Then second fase ClearPass... same vlan of  the Controller.

IS this good config startup ?

Regards

MVP

Someone with a little more expertise might be able to answer you with a more definite answer.

Our subnet is rather a large one (a /20) and part a small chunk of it has a DHCP for our users. So we selected another range inside our existing subnet and statically set the IP's on the AP's. We have a very small number of AP's so it isn't to tough for us to do this.

So having said that our setup in similar to what you have going on so I don't think it will be a big deal.

The AP's will establish their GRE Tunnels with the Controller and then you can add even more VLAN's (assuming you are using GRE, I don't think you have to).

I don't think there will be any major issues. I think it will really come down to what your requirements are in terms of security. 

Maybe someone else could offer you some better advice though. Sorry I can't give you more of an definite answer.

Cheers

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: