Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

convert auth type or not

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  convert auth type or not

Posted Mar 24, 2012 09:13 PM

I have an existing SSID that uses WPA2-AES auth/encryption.  I want to setup 802.1x auth, would it be best to set this up on the existing SSID or create a new SSID?  

If I set it on the existing, the devices will not be able to connect until the option in wireless setup for PEAP/EAP is set correct?

• 2.  RE: convert auth type or not
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 24, 2012 09:19 PM

You are correct.

You would need a seperate SSID profile that uses WPA2-Enterprise   instead of WPA2-PSK (that you currently have).    The setting in the Aruba Controller's SSID profile of just 'WPA2' would indicate a WPA2-Enterprise network driven in the background using 802.1x.

The "SSID PROFILE" is what is used to set which mode (pre-shared or dynamic) credentials are to be used...in a given WLAN network (SSID) therefore it's one or the other...not both simultaneously.  

When conversions like this happen its common to run the old service and the new service in parallel.   I would recommend the use of Airwave then to run reports per-SSID to see how the users are 'migrating' naturally over to the new network.   

JF

• 3.  RE: convert auth type or not

Posted Mar 24, 2012 09:22 PM

Small point of clarity...

When is said "When conversions like this happen its common to run the old service and the new service in parallel."

I simply mean two SSIDs  on the same network ;-)    one PSK  one 802.1x driven.

JF

• 4.  RE: convert auth type or not

Posted Mar 25, 2012 07:58 AM

Thanks for the input.

Do you now if there is a way to automate the converstion process on the client?  I am assuming we will need to touch each client.

• 5.  RE: convert auth type or not

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 25, 2012 09:23 AM

Josh,

The best way would be group policy, but you should test to make sure that a single client works first and then you can deploy the group policy to your clients.

There is an article on Group Policy here http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Command-of-the-Day/COTD-How-to-create-a-Wireless-Group-Policy-on-Windows-2008/m-p/11768/highlight/true#M315

• 6.  RE: convert auth type or not

Posted Mar 26, 2012 10:25 AM

Thanks for all the Help!  In about 20 minutes I have it all setup and working on a test SSID!

THANKS FELLOW AIRHEADS!

Josh