Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

double dot1x lan clients when dot1x config wired and IAP?

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  double dot1x lan clients when dot1x config wired and IAP?

MVP
    Posted Mar 21, 2018 10:32 AM

So, topic says all.. sort off :P

I was happily configuring wired and wireless 802.1X but instead of a controller based setup I now had InstantAPs to work with. 

No problem, you can configue the IAPs to do wired auth also.

But then the and result is offcourse that the IAP does 802.1X just fine, but then any client that connects through that IAP hits the Aruba LAN switch that also demands authentication.

How do you guys usually handle this situation?  Disable 802.1X for the wired ports with IAPs connected to them?  Use port-based authentication instead of session based auth?

• 2.  RE: double dot1x lan clients when dot1x config wired and IAP?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 21, 2018 10:38 AM
    You can’t use user roles with bridged devices like APs or downstream switches. You need to instead return the port auth mode and other enforcement actions via RADIUS VSA.

• 3.  RE: double dot1x lan clients when dot1x config wired and IAP?

MVP
    Posted Mar 21, 2018 11:15 AM

Hi Tim,

Could you clarify that a bit more please?

If I understand correctly, on the IAP authenticating, I return a HP-Port-Auth-Mode-Dot1x VSA which overrides the default session based auth for the port.

Can I still send along HPE-Egress-VLAN-Name VSA's to open an untagged and several tagged vlans on this port then?

Will with port-based access clients landing in those ifferent vlans not trigger a new authentication for this port?

• 4.  RE: double dot1x lan clients when dot1x config wired and IAP?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 21, 2018 11:19 AM
    Yes, you’d return both the port auth mode and Egress VLAN VSAs. Subsequent MAC addresses presented on the port will not be forced to authenticate.

• 5.  RE: double dot1x lan clients when dot1x config wired and IAP?

Posted Apr 02, 2019 01:02 PM

Would be nice if someone could write a guide for how to do role-based colorless-ports along with Instant.. Like update the otherwise nice guide Tim?

• 6.  RE: double dot1x lan clients when dot1x config wired and IAP?

MVP
    Posted May 27, 2019 07:39 AM

Hey Tim,

Is there a similar VSA I can use for comware switches?

• 7.  RE: double dot1x lan clients when dot1x config wired and IAP?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 27, 2019 07:01 PM

check chapter 8, of this guide that talks about Wired Enforcement for Instant APs Dot1x and how to avoid double dt1x auth with "port-mode" command on the Aruba switch. you need AOS-S version 16.08 and CP verson 6.7.9 or later.

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wired-Intelligent-Edge-Campus/Wired-Enforcement-of-Local-and-Downloadable-user-roles/m-p/518927#M5481