Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

what is the diffrence between self register and hotspot in Clearpass guest?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  what is the diffrence between self register and hotspot in Clearpass guest?

Posted Nov 19, 2014 12:20 PM

I need to understand what is the diffrence between self register and hotspot also I'm configureing Micros to be transaction processor

• 2.  RE: what is the diffrence between self register and hotspot in Clearpass guest?

Posted Nov 21, 2014 10:09 AM

Hi Airhead_geek,

The self registration process is a work flow that a user goes through where they can get onto a guest network. The Hotspot 2.0 is an entirely different beast that I have only ever read about it, and never actually seen in action. It's almost like doing cellular handoffs between wifi stations. Here's some links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotspot_%28Wi-Fi%29#Hotspot_2.0

https://gigaom.com/2014/03/07/hotspot-2-0-inches-its-way-into-public-wi-fi-networks/

Hope it helps!

-Mike

• 3.  RE: what is the diffrence between self register and hotspot in Clearpass guest?

Posted Sep 13, 2016 12:27 AM

The difference between the two is that while guest self registration page is only meant to register the user by taking their details and creating an account for them, Hotspot 
    transaction allows the same users to be able to select a paid plan.

The power that using a hotspot enabled guest self registration page provides is that, you can now integrate payment gateways to the registraton form. The users can be made to pay money and accordingly be provided different internet  browsing speed.

This enables you to have more control over the internet and badwidth usage allowed to every individual user. 
    You can have different bandwidth  be allocated to different users  based on the amount they paid.