Blogs

WIFI TAKES THE ENGINEER OUT OF THE CUBE - USE THIS TIME TO EDUCATE AN END USER !

By gstefanick posted Feb 13, 2013 08:30 PM

A unique advantage to being a WiFi engineer is it takes the engineer out of the cube and onto the production floor, where the WiFi engineer interacts and is visible to the end users. As a WiFi engineer, troubleshooting a WiFi issue, you become very good in your interviewing techniques, drawing out answers to questions from users with limited technical expertise. Frankly, when was the last time the Routing, Switching, Security or that annoying Server guy you sit next to in your cube that slurps his coffee every morning visited an end user who is having a network issue? My point exactly. 

Good WiFi engineers also leverage their time when interacting with end users to help educate and dispel the “wireless network has issues”. One such opportunity happen this week which involved client roaming. I received an email from the CMO about a very prominent physician who was complaining about WiFi issues in his lab. Of course, this physician brings up his WiFi network issue during a morning meeting among a group of physicians. Nothing like spreading the word.

After a few minutes of discussion with the physician, he described what appeared to be an issue with roaming and was later confirmed. I asked if I could test the device and try to reproduce the problem, which I was able to. A layer 2 analysis repeatedly showed client behavior which exhibited a poor client roaming algorithm. The client was extremely stubborn, would stick to an access point, and not send a probe request until the RSSI was at -82 dBm!.

I took advantage of this opportunity to educate the physician. His assumption was the wireless network had issues when in fact, his device was the one with issues. After sharing the data I collected and presented the information in a non technical way he understood. After researching the device I was able to do a driver update which improved roaming considerably. 

I walked away from this interaction with a check mark in the WIN column. I helped educate an user who had a negative notion and a bad experience on my WiFi network. The alternative, I could have just updated the driver and walked away. The physician would assumed I tweaked the network and fixed his problem. 

In closing --- Being a GOOD WiFi engineer is more than just configuring a controller, installing access points, conducting site surveys, using layer 2 and spectrum analyzers or knowing best practices. Taking the time and educating users goes a long way to dispel the “wireless network has issues”.

Take the time and educate! 

5 comments

Comments

May 06, 2013 02:54 PM

HI Compnerd,

A simple wireless capture with a filter enabled on the mac address of the wireless client in question. You will be able to capture what that client transmits. In this case it was the probe that interest me the most. Having multi channel adapters certainly help. 

May 06, 2013 02:27 PM

This is a great topic.  I appreciate you bringing this up.

How were you able to test the device and determine that probes were not sent until RSSI was -82?  I'd like to be able to add this troubleshooting method to my toolbox.

Mar 10, 2013 12:22 PM

Hi Matti,

Thanks for the response. I appreciate it ! 

I think it does help to improve the situation from the network perspective and it would be extreme that one would have to replace their hardware. 

When managing a wifi enterprise where just a few or  even thousands of devices frequent daily we expect some level of problems. These problems range from clients being misconfigured, interference, driver issues and the list goes on. I am a firm believer of customer service. When someone has an idea or experience about something that is negative, they are more likely to share that experience with someone else. I have experimented with this very subject and I've found that users who are educated on the issue are less likley to blame the network and are more likley to share their expereince when others have issues. 

Just my 2 cents .. 

Feb 21, 2013 09:13 AM

"His assumption was the wireless network had issues when in fact, his device was the one with issues."

Telling this to user usually doesn't improve the situation in user's standpoint. "The network works fine, you can use it when Apple (Google, Intel etc.)  releases an update which fixes this issue." Or  "the network works fine exept you have to go and buy a newer laptop if you're planning to go online."

:smileysad:

Feb 14, 2013 01:33 AM

Nice Post!