Training, Certification & Career

last person joined: 4 days ago 

Get more information about the HPE Aruba Networking technical training and certification programs. Network with your colleagues to improve your career, and post job availability for network engineers within your organization.
Expand all | Collapse all

ACMA study guide

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  ACMA study guide

Posted Nov 14, 2013 06:16 PM

The ACMA 6.1 study guide(what little there is of it) shows this as the boot sequence for an AP:

A. AP transfers OS from controller

B. AP builds GRE tunnel to the controller

C. AP determines IP address of the controller

D. AP Radio is enabled

it says the answer is A,B,C,D.

This seems incorrect.  According to the course and materials shouldn't it be:

C,A,B,D

AP starts up by getting it's own IP, gets IP of the controller, then gets image from the controller, then builds GRE tunnel to controller, then turns radio on last.

Is this a typo in the 6.1 ACMA study guide?

• 2.  RE: ACMA study guide

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 17, 2013 05:41 PM

I'm with you on that.  the first is C.  It obviously needs to know the controller ip before it can build a GRE to it.

Looks like a typo to me.

:smileyhappy:

• 3.  RE: ACMA study guide

Posted Nov 18, 2013 07:51 PM

How about this:

1. The AP gets an IP address (either statically assigned or from DHCP)

2. The AP locates the master (or local) controller through ADP or DNS lookup or static entry

3. The AP checks its firmware revision against the controller

4. (A) The AP transfers OS from controller

5. (B) The AP builds GRP tunnel to the controller and gets it's configuration including (C) determining the IP address if its controller (which may be the same as the controller it got the image from, but might just as well not)

6. (D) The AP redio is enabled

I'm pretty sure I missed a bit of the fine-detail, but this sequence makes the original answer and my packet capture agree.

• 4.  RE: ACMA study guide

Posted Nov 20, 2013 10:24 PM

msabin - your basically correct with one tweek

The AP establishes a PAPI connection (UDP-8211) with the controller for communication,  this is done at step 2 after the controller discovery, the PAPI connection is used to send in the AP name (MAC address on factory default AP) and AP group information, as well as compare the OS.   Now in step 4 the OS is transfered , then AP reboots, and goes back through steps 1-4 but no need for OS transfer so through PAPI it gets a fresh copy of it's config. Then the AP reads the config, builds the GRE tunnels to support User Data , then turns on the radios.

so looks like this

The AP gets an IP address (either statically assigned or from DHCP)

2. The AP locates the master (or local) controller through ADP or DNS lookup or static entry

2a Ap establishes PAPI for communicaion sends in NAME and AP Group

3. The AP checks its firmware revision against the controller

4. (A) The AP transfers OS from controller (reboot)

5. (B) AP  gets fresh config configuration including (C) determining the IP address if its controller (which may be the same as the controller it got the image from, but might just as well not)

5d - builds GRE tunnels

6. (D) The AP redio is enabled

• 5.  RE: ACMA study guide

Posted Nov 21, 2013 01:11 PM

Thanks for the clarification.

• 6.  RE: ACMA study guide

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2014 09:59 AM

Check out the “Becoming Mobility Certified” event, we are covering ACMA this month (May 2014). Join us! http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Training-Certification-Career/Becoming-Mobility-Certified-ACMA-May-2014/td-p/158724