Training, Certification & Career

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Get more information about the HPE Aruba Networking technical training and certification programs. Network with your colleagues to improve your career, and post job availability for network engineers within your organization.
Expand all | Collapse all

Home/lab equipment?

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  Home/lab equipment?

Posted Sep 17, 2013 01:59 PM

At Airheads a question came up about this - is there any progress from there?

I personally would love to have a dev lab at work so I can test before I adjust our live network (like that one mistake that takes down the wifi), my company wouldn't be able to just buy 2 controllers and have one sit in the lab (aka my desk).  But buying an RMA device that maybe one of the network ports doesn't work, or is dented would be perfect!

Also I wish I could mess with gear at home, learn more then what I need at work - and work towards a cert.

• 2.  RE: Home/lab equipment?

Posted Sep 18, 2013 07:18 PM

This may not be the answer to your question 

A while ago I received an e-mail from this company : http://www.arubarack.com/ which rents virtual aruba equipment 

Note: I have not used it and this company is not sponsor by Aruba , also it is quite expensive 

• 3.  RE: Home/lab equipment?

Posted Oct 02, 2013 01:35 PM

At the risk of sounding like a jerk -  This has always been the big question, how much do you personally invest in your own career.  Many of us have a garage full of old gear that we picked up for just this reason. if you run a busness and are an Aruba Partner look for NFR gear at a discount. If your an employee and can't get the company to see the value in a test lab.  Oh well - is it worth your dime to have the knowledge. 

keep in mind that knowledge might help you make the move to a better funded company ;-) just saying

• 4.  RE: Home/lab equipment?

Posted Nov 15, 2013 12:21 AM

We pitched the idea of a wireless lab to management and they went along with it.  Our Aruba sales rep helped us get some "lab only" controllers at a nice discount.  Now we have a nice lab in which to test things before going to production.

• 5.  RE: Home/lab equipment?

Posted Jan 06, 2014 10:44 AM

I have started to invest money in a home lab with iAP's. Till now I have the iAP105 and soon to receive the iAP155 (just to "play" with the cable connection on the iAP and POE functions).

The next step will be an iAP 225 in order to test the 802.11ac.

The investment for me is for the knowledge and I have no time to get certifications. The investiment to is worth it because in my department I'm the go to guy in order to "fix it" :)

• 6.  RE: Home/lab equipment?

Posted Jan 18, 2015 10:45 AM

I am on a quest to establish a good Aruba  lab environment for our company. I am looking for an equpment list which covers mobility in general as well as ClearPass (basically the whole Aruba ecosystem). If you have recomendations or a list along this line, please pass it along.

Thanks