Training, Certification & Career

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Get more information about the HPE Aruba Networking technical training and certification programs. Network with your colleagues to improve your career, and post job availability for network engineers within your organization.
Expand all | Collapse all

Perhaps a More Holistic Approach to Professional Development

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Perhaps a More Holistic Approach to Professional Development

Posted Jun 04, 2014 11:41 AM
    Over the last six months I finally got my butt in gear and have visited the Airheads forum more frequently. The Airheads forum is filled with a lot of people with good advice, many years of experience, and a myriad of relevant mobility certifications. Some have Aruba-specific mobility and security certifications. Others have general mobility and security certifications. Being someone who does not have one mobility certification I must admit that it is difficult to know where to start. All of the skills associated with each certification are valuable. In addition many networks not only include Aruba devices, but devices from security vendors and a certain switch/router company that shall remain nameless. And those vendors have certification tracks as well. The certification combinations seem endless. Just when I thought that the decision process for certifications could not get any more complicated, I realized that some organizations prefer technical professionals to have a more holistic skill set. Related to that skill set there are some non-technical certifications that may be beneficial. There are courses and certifications in time management, project management, presentation skills, negotiation skills, etc. I know that I cannot get and use all this training 100% of the time. So my questions to the community are the following...
    1. What do you believe are the top mobility certifications to obtain?
    2. What do you believe are the top security certifications to obtain?
    3. Do any of you have any non-technical or soft skills training or certifications?
    4. Do you see any value in non-technical training and certifications?
    5. If so, what non-technical or soft skills training and certifications make an excellent complement to mobility training and certification?
    6. Do you feel that the non-technical training help you perform your role better than your peers?
    7. Do your employers see any value (in the form of a raise or promotion) in non-technical certifications?

• 2.  RE: Perhaps a More Holistic Approach to Professional Development

Posted Jun 06, 2014 02:09 PM

1. ACMP, CWNA

2. CISSP

4. I think there's some value in project management and presentation skills.