Training, Certification & Career

Upcoming community maintenance Oct. 27th through Oct. 29th
For more info click here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Where can I find spectrum analyzer examples so I can learn how to differentiate wireless signals?

I am trying to learn the differences on recognizing microwave frequencies, wireless cameras, Bluetooth devices and other devices to help me be more prepared for my CWNA certification exam.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
MVP Expert

Re: Where can I find spectrum analyzer examples so I can learn how to differentiate wireless signals

Good luck .

The cwna book does a good job getting you ready for the exam , the cwap is cwna but on steroids since it goes into every detail of the 802.11 different processes
Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Architect @WEI
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Super Contributor II

Re: Where can I find spectrum analyzer examples so I can learn how to differentiate wireless signals

Both Chanalyzer 3 and 4 can be opened up without the Wi-Spy USB dongle. The application allows you to open some example captures and also one of the tabs give you a range of screen shots of specific devices - if all you need is some examples this is your best option - I'm pretty sure you can download the software freely.

All Replies
Highlighted
MVP Expert

Do you have the CWAP book? , the book brings a CD with some spectrum analysis samples from different devices.

In this website you can get the samples from Chapter 11:

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470769033,miniSiteCd-SYBEX.html

And this particular site they show some of the samples as well:

http://www.metageek.net/blog/2011/04/cwap-official-study-guide-spectrum-analysis-supplement/

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Highlighted

Thank you Fabian that is helpful I am willing to take all types of suggestions to guide me in the right direction which will help me pass my CWNA exam.  I will pick up the CWAP book to add to my collection.  I have also downloaded the CWAP CD from the CWNP website.

Highlighted
MVP Expert

Good luck .

The cwna book does a good job getting you ready for the exam , the cwap is cwna but on steroids since it goes into every detail of the 802.11 different processes
Thank you

Victor Fabian

Highlighted
Super Contributor II

Both Chanalyzer 3 and 4 can be opened up without the Wi-Spy USB dongle. The application allows you to open some example captures and also one of the tabs give you a range of screen shots of specific devices - if all you need is some examples this is your best option - I'm pretty sure you can download the software freely.

Highlighted

Thank you Matt for posting this good tip I will definitely have to check Chanalzyer out and the free examples.

Brian thanks for your motivation and recommendatons!  I appreciate all help and welcome any examples that anyone can direct me to so I can become familiar with recognizing all wireless device signals.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: