Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

10G DAC cable to connect between Aruba Switch and HPE Switch

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  10G DAC cable to connect between Aruba Switch and HPE Switch

Posted Sep 26, 2019 11:37 PM

Hi Everyone!

The customer request to use 10G DAC cable to connect between Aruba 2930F and HPE 1950, but the 2 switch model support different DAC cable -- Aruba J9281D and HPE JD096C, can i choose either one cable to connect the switches?

Thank you!

• 2.  RE: 10G DAC cable to connect between Aruba Switch and HPE Switch

• 3.  RE: 10G DAC cable to connect between Aruba Switch and HPE Switch

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 27, 2019 01:45 AM
    Hi wkong, using unsupported options is generally risky...it is more risky on Aruba 2930F side compared to HPE OfficeConnect 1950 side...that's because Aruba (even if can allow unsupported transceivers) is more sensible (or, in other terms, it is more restrictive) about options installed compared to a switch Comware NOS based such as the HPE OfficeConnect 1950 (Comware, as ArubaOS-Switch, warns you that you're using phony transceivers but, generally, tends to accept almost anything without requesting you to allow anything as, instead, ArubaOS-Switch does).

The true issue free approach (the less risky but more expensive) would be to use supported SFP+ SR LC Transceivers on both ends and interconnect with a FO LC/LC MM OM3 Patch.

• 4.  RE: 10G DAC cable to connect between Aruba Switch and HPE Switch

Posted Sep 27, 2019 02:36 AM

Hi @parnassus, so I should propose SFP+ Transceivers + fiber patch cord, instead of the DAC cable, right? Since I cannot find any document stated that the DAC cable able to work on both Aruba 2930F and HPE 1950.

• 5.  RE: 10G DAC cable to connect between Aruba Switch and HPE Switch
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 27, 2019 04:48 AM

Hi!

As written above it's a matter of do a risky thing (the cheap path, not fully supported on both ends) or not (the more expensive path, fully supported on both end).

If I were you I would probably use an J9150D (Aruba 10G SFP+ LC SR 300m OM3 MMF Transceiver) on Aruba 2930F side, an OM3 (or to be super-cool an OM4) LC/LC Multi-Mode 50/125 micro-meter (Core/Cladding) Fiber Optic patch cord and a JD092B (HPE X130 10G SFP+ LC SR Transceiver) on HPE OfficeConnect 1950 side...this setup will cost you more but it will be a lot less risky than just using a cheaper DAC Cable (like the J9281D or J9283D) which is supported only on Aruba 2930F side and that could work on HPE OfficeConnect 1950 side.

To understand what is officially supported on both ends you need to read relevant QuickSpecs...

• 6.  RE: 10G DAC cable to connect between Aruba Switch and HPE Switch

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 27, 2019 08:50 AM

These are the links to the transceiver guides for both platforms. Parnassus has the right solution (J9150D to JD092B), Just be aware you may need to change the polarity of the connection when going between device (transmit side to receive side in both directions).

ArubaOS-Switch and ArubaOS-CX Transceiver Guide 

HPE Comware-Based Devices Transceiver Modules User Guide (10G)