Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

2530-48g-poe+ TDR test not running

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  2530-48g-poe+ TDR test not running

Posted Jun 07, 2019 06:52 PM

We've mostly deployed 2930f switches, but just dropped a 2530 at a client site. Running firmware YA.16.08.0003 I get the following each time. The feature matrix says transciever diagnostics are supported, but I couldn't find something more particular. Is this a hardware limitation or a firmware bug? I'll try different versions, but I thought I'd ask.

HP-2530-48G-PoEP# test cable-diagnostics 1
    The port or transceiver on port 1 does not support cable diagnostics.
    Please try only with port or transceivers which are supported.

• 2.  RE: 2530-48g-poe+ TDR test not running

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 07, 2019 07:59 PM
    Hi,

you wrote "The feature matrix says transciever diagnostics are supported" but there is no evidence of that.

AFAIK only Aruba 2540, 2930F, 2930M, 3810M and 5400R zl2 (on v3 zl2 modules only) do support TDR.

• 3.  RE: 2530-48g-poe+ TDR test not running

Posted Jun 07, 2019 08:10 PM

Aargh! I misphrased the previous bit, but my point was I can't find an item that lines up with TDR on the matrix that the 2530 doesn't have.

I've swapped two firmwares out since posting, and I suspect you're right. Really frustrating, as far cheaper other switches do it, and the hardware is obviously capable of at least some testing. (Energy Efficient Ethernet, which the 2530 DOES have, requires cable length determination, though the minimum resolution to meet spec is abysmal)

• 4.  RE: 2530-48g-poe+ TDR test not running

• 5.  RE: 2530-48g-poe+ TDR test not running
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 09, 2019 10:39 AM

@mcoelho wrote:

Aargh! I misphrased the previous bit, but my point was I can't find an item that lines up with TDR on the matrix that the 2530 doesn't have.

Have a look here and search for "Time Domain Reflectometry" feature on the matrix.

@mcoelho wrote:

I've swapped two firmwares out since posting, and I suspect you're right. Really frustrating, as far cheaper other switches do it, and the hardware is obviously capable of at least some testing. (Energy Efficient Ethernet, which the 2530 DOES have, requires cable length determination, though the minimum resolution to meet spec is abysmal)

The point is that VCT (Virtual Cable Testing), which use TDR, needs a system that is engineered in Hardware and Software to provide pulse signals on its interfaces (pulse signals are used to diagnose - through their reflections back to the source - connected copper cable)...so, probably, Aruba 2530 hasn't such feature deployed in Hardware although the user command is available at Software level.

• 6.  RE: 2530-48g-poe+ TDR test not running

Posted Jun 10, 2019 03:22 PM

Aargh! Again. Thank you though, that most definitely is a solid answer, even if not what I hoped to find.

• 7.  RE: 2530-48g-poe+ TDR test not running

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 10, 2019 01:37 PM

Greetings!

As pointed out by parnassus, TDR is not supported on the 2530 series. The 'test cable-diagnostics' command remains present, however, for transceivers that support Diagnostic Optical Monitoring (DOM) or Virtual Cable Test (VCT) features, which show up as 'Diagnostic Support' in the transceiver information displayed using the command 'show interfaces transceiver detail'. Testing of transceivers supporting these features is supported on the 2530 series.