Wired Intelligent Edge (Campus Switching and Routing)

Occasional Contributor I

2930F Max VLANs

Is 256 really the hard limit of VLANs? I set the command max-vlans to 1024 and the running config confirms 1024, however when i try to vlan 1000-1499 it fails saying there is max of 256 VLANs.

Is it a hard limit? 

I find it ironic on the lower 1950s I'm able to add more than 256 VLANs.

MVP Expert

Re: 2930F Max VLANs

Hi,

I think, yes it is a hard limit

a campus switch don't really need more often of 1K vlans... (or it is a bad design !)

PowerArubaSW: Powershell Module to use Aruba Switch API for Vlan, VlanPorts, LACP, LLDP... More info

PowerArubaCP: Powershell Module to use ClearPass API (create NAD, Guest...) More info

PowerArubaCX: Powershell Module to use ArubaCX API (get interface/vlan/ports info)

PowerArubaIAP: Powershell Module to use Aruba Instant AP

ACMP 6.4 / ACMX #107 / ACCP 6.5
Occasional Contributor I

I don’t need the campus switch to route more than 256 VLANs, I have routers for that. I need the switch to support more than 256 VLANs at Layer2. The 2500 series and even the 1950s support that (as layer 2 switches)!

The reason I got the 2930F was to do stacking which is not support in the 2500. In the 2930F data sheet:
https://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/ds/DS_2930FSwitchSeries.pdf

It says the following:
Layer 2 switching
• VLAN support and tagging support IEEE 802.1Q (4,094 VLAN IDs) and 2K VLANs simultaneously

So how can I tag my ports with more than 256 VLANs when it says Layer2 can handle 2000 VLANs?

Perry
MVP Expert

with 2930F(-8G) and firmware 16.08

it is possible to set max-vlans to 2048

MAQ-2930F(config)# max-vlans 
 <16-2048>             Enter an integer number.
MAQ-2930F(config)# show vlan 

Status and Counters - VLAN Information

Maximum VLANs to support : 2048                 
  Primary VLAN : DEFAULT_VLAN
  Management VLAN :             

PowerArubaSW: Powershell Module to use Aruba Switch API for Vlan, VlanPorts, LACP, LLDP... More info

PowerArubaCP: Powershell Module to use ClearPass API (create NAD, Guest...) More info

PowerArubaCX: Powershell Module to use ArubaCX API (get interface/vlan/ports info)

Occasional Contributor I

Yes I noticed that and I tried to set that to 1024. However when I try to add more than 256 VLANs I get an error message as I mentioned in my original post.

Perry
MVP Expert

@pstatho wrote:
Yes I noticed that and I tried to set that to 1024. However when I try to add more than 256 VLANs I get an error message as I mentioned in my original post.

Perry

May be a bug... open a issue to the TAC

MVP Expert

max-vlans requires switch to reboot...did you reboot it yet?
Occasional Contributor I

Yes I did, but I'm in a stack so perhaps one of the members didn't get a proper reboot? I'm pretty sure I did both memembers, but I will try again to be sure. I've also opened a case with HPE.

Perry
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

So it seems that I needed to power cycle the switches. Previously I did a reload command from the CLI, which rebooted both switches in the stack. 

After power cycling the switches the max-vlan setting was applied.

Thanks all!

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: