Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

2930F Trunking Help

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  2930F Trunking Help

Posted Oct 22, 2019 07:34 PM

So very new to Aruba swtiching AOS-S but I do understand the concept of tagging and untagging however I think I'm a little lost on setting up a trunk port or doing something wrong.

I have a router doing DHCP which is plugged directly into port 1 on the 2930F and a 345 AP on port 2. All ports are untagged VLAN 1 but what I'm trying to do is setup VLAN 20 on the AP as L3 which sucessfully works via wireless testing to the internet. How can I get VLAN 20 to the switchports for users to use?

I tried the following with no luck, assuming trunk 2 should be interface 2 of the AP since I need VLAN 1 (Router VLAN currently) and VLAN 20 (L3 on AP for clients)

trunk 2 trk1 lacp
    timesync ntp
    ntp server 216.239.35.0
    ntp enable
    snmp-server community "public" unrestricted
    vlan 1
    name "DEFAULT_VLAN"
    no untagged 2,Trk1
    untagged 1-6,9-10
    ip address dhcp-bootp
    exit
    vlan 20
    name "LAN_WIFI"
    untagged 2,Trk1
    no ip address
    exit

• 2.  RE: 2930F Trunking Help

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 22, 2019 09:33 PM

Hi,

I think you don't use the trunk concept the right way.

On AOS-Switch, a trunk is a link aggregation.

So in your configuration :

- You applied port 2 into a link aggregation (trk1).

- You put port 2 and trk1 as untagged in VLAN20.

But, globally, your configuration should be rejected by the switch, because :

- You do a "no untagged 2" in VLAN 1, and the line after, you put "untagged 1-6", which includes port 2.

- You use port 2 and trk1, while port 2 is now included into trk1. So once it's done, you should get the following error if you try to put port 2 in a VLAN : "Module not present for port or invalid port: 2"

So if you want to get port 2 in VLAN1 as untagged and in VLAN20 as tagged, you should use the following configuration :

vlan 1
    name "DEFAULT_VLAN"
    no untagged 7-8
    untagged 1-6,9-10
    ip address dhcp-bootp
    exit
    vlan 20
    name "LAN_WIFI"
    untagged 3-6,9-10
    tagged 2
    no ip address
    exit

This way :

- Router port is untagged in VLAN1

- AP port is untagged in VLAN1 and tagged in VLAN20

- All other ports are untagged in VLAN20 (except 7 and 8)

(I don't know what are ports 7 and 8, but as you don't use it in your configuration, I didn't include them in VLAN1, assuming your using them in another VLAN)

As a best practice, you should also remove the dhcp-bootp part in VLAN1.

HTH.

• 3.  RE: 2930F Trunking Help

Posted Oct 22, 2019 09:53 PM
    Looks like I was being stupid and got my tag understanding backwards so easy fix after you pointed it out! I thought “ ip address dhcp-bootp” was for assigning an IP in this case mgmnt on VLAN 1 for the switch am I wrong? I understand using VLAN 1 is bad practice I just haven’t changed anything in my tests yet.

• 4.  RE: 2930F Trunking Help
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 22, 2019 11:08 PM

Yes, that's correct - If you use the "ip address dhcp-bootp" on VLAN 1 (or any other), switch will make a DHCP request, and will get an IP if a DHCP Server responds.

I was saying this as a best practice, cause it's alwayse (more than) recommended to configure a static IP address.

But obviously it will work with DHCP.

Is your issue with VLAN solved now ?

Is everything working as expected ?