Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

2930F clock

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  2930F clock

Posted Jan 04, 2019 10:14 AM

Hello airheads,

Just a quick query (as I usually receive quick responses) regarding the clock in a 2930F switch. When a switch reboots, I notice 1/1/90 in the logs until it contacts NTP. Is there any way to make it save the date/time when it goes down? This seems to be causing auth failures at boot with our CPPM until time is synchronized. 

-Mike

• 2.  RE: 2930F clock

Posted Jan 04, 2019 11:55 AM

I believe there is no clock controller on the 2930F...

It has to set manually or via NTP(SNTP) after each reload.

Took me a while to figure this out too...

• 3.  RE: 2930F clock

Posted Jan 04, 2019 11:59 AM

That is what I thought. This obviously presents a problem for CPPM DURs when they depend on the correct time beacuse of the (mandatory) certificate check. Any thoughts on how I can work around this?

• 4.  RE: 2930F clock

Posted Jan 04, 2019 12:02 PM

None that I've been able to find... even with assistance from TAC, it's an issue at the hardware level...

• 5.  RE: 2930F clock

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 04, 2019 12:55 PM

Greetings!

The response by Shieva is correct — the 2930F does not have a RTC (Real Time Clock) controller, which is why the switch reverts to 1/1/1990 after a cold boot or power cycle. 

We are investigating possible software changes to mitigate this issue; in the meantime, if you have not already done so, try enabling iburst in the NTP server configuration on your switch; when supported by the NTP server implementation, it can substantially reduce the amount of time required for the switch to complete time synchronization.

This can be done using the following command as an example:

switch(config)# ntp server 1.1.1.1 iburst

• 6.  RE: 2930F clock

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 22, 2019 12:53 PM

Following up on this topic: I have been informed by switch software engineering that a software fix for the 2540 and 2930F clock reset on reboot issue is in the works, with an expected release by the end of February. 

• 7.  RE: 2930F clock

MVP GURU
    Posted Jan 23, 2019 06:16 AM

That's great!