Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

2930f cannot NAT, what is the best solution

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  2930f cannot NAT, what is the best solution

Posted Oct 20, 2019 01:00 PM

Hi all,

I'm working on some aruba gear and try to figure something out with NAT. It is long ago that I did some NAT configuration, however this was not with Aruba gear.

The topology is as followed:Picture 1.png

The modem is from my ISP it does NAT and DHCP, but I want to put this in bridge mode and use the 2930f as NAT router. However, as I already read, the 2930f is a L3 swich and does not provide NAT functionality.

I did some research how to solve this, but I do not know what is wise.

1) Use the Branch Controller 7005 as NAT device. Than I need to connect the modem to the branch controller and the branch controller to the 2930f. However, is it good to move the Branch Controller to the edge?

2) Use the same topology as seen in the picture, and install on the NUC Sophos XG Firewall Home Edition. This should be a firewall and able to handle NAT(?), I don't have any experiences with this. However, I never configured a FW as a virtual server on the L3 SW. Normally the FW should be between the ISP and the L3 SW.

What are your ideas?

#2930F

• 2.  RE: 2930f cannot NAT, what is the best solution

MVP GURU
    Posted Oct 21, 2019 09:50 AM

Hi Mark,

Yes, you need a "router" with support of NAT...

the better solution is a firewall !

You can use 7005 but i think, it is used for other stuff ?

• 3.  RE: 2930f cannot NAT, what is the best solution

Posted Oct 21, 2019 10:47 AM

The 7005, I've 2, are my mobility controllers in combination with the mobility master. I can go with 1 controller of course and 1 as branch router/NAT, but that will take the advantaged of the Mobility Master away since it is only 1 controller.

So, than I guess the Sophos XG is the option I'll take. Aruba NAT capability devices are only the 7000 and 7200 serie or can the SD WAN 9004 also do NAT? Don't know the price range of that device.

Just need a NAT device, don't really care if this will be through a 3rd party Sophos XG virtual Firewall or something from Aruba. I do want to play with the Mobility Master, so I do think I need both of the 7005 as controller right?

• 4.  RE: 2930f cannot NAT, what is the best solution

MVP GURU
    Posted Oct 21, 2019 01:10 PM
    Hi! If I were you - considering you already have a NUC with at least two Ethernet interfaces (one will have the WAN role, the other one will have the LAN role) - I would immediately deploy an open source Firewall appliance - like the one developed by www.opnsense.org - as my perimeter Firewall leaving the Aruba 7005 protected inside my trusted portion of internal Network.

• 5.  RE: 2930f cannot NAT, what is the best solution

Posted Oct 21, 2019 01:25 PM

Thanks Parnassus, sadly the intel NUC doesn't have two NICS.

Looking into that as well if there are any 'hacks' to create a second NIC on the NUC. 

I do think in ESXI it is possible to create a virtual switch and so you can create more than 1 NIC. If anyone has experience in that please share.

• 6.  RE: 2930f cannot NAT, what is the best solution

MVP GURU
    Posted Oct 21, 2019 03:20 PM

Yes, ESXI support vlan tagged... need to add a PortGroup

yes, it is possible to use opnsense or pfsense too !

• 7.  RE: 2930f cannot NAT, what is the best solution

Posted Oct 23, 2019 04:16 PM

Thanks guys! I'm going to look into the Aruba 9004 Gateway. I assume this device can do NAT right?

For now I have temporarily a router from another vendor.

I'll install the firewall on the NUC with 1 NIC and configure the port as a trunk. The one-armed firewall principle.

• 8.  RE: 2930f cannot NAT, what is the best solution
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted Oct 24, 2019 01:18 AM

Yes, the 9004 is the new generation of 70xx