Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

3810m Stack + Spanning Tree Question

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  3810m Stack + Spanning Tree Question

Posted Feb 26, 2020 05:07 PM

Hello -

I have a stack of 8 aruba 3810m switches in a ring setup. My entire building is wired back to the computer room so there aren't any switches besides this stack. I have spanning tree enabled but wanted to know what the best practice is for spanning tree on my port connected to the firewall. It's a single port so only one way in and out. 

Today I had my firewall go unresponsive so to get things connected quickly again I power cycled the firewall as everything else was connected yet. That brought it back up. However I had myself and the vendor look at the firewall and don't see anything that actually occurred so I'm wondering if STP comes into play. Is there any best practice for an STP configuration to a firewall in which there is only one port involved?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate the help.

• 2.  RE: 3810m Stack + Spanning Tree Question

MVP GURU
    Posted Feb 26, 2020 07:40 PM

Have you configured your uplink port (to the Firewall) as an Access Port from the standpoint of Spanning-Tree and BPDU/Loop Protection?

How is configured your Spanning-Tree (on the Stack acting as your network topology core and also on the access layer)?

Why you think the issue is tied to the uplink port to your Firewall?