Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

8320 CX-OS 10.01 - VSX L3 Routing

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  8320 CX-OS 10.01 - VSX L3 Routing

Posted Dec 04, 2018 09:16 PM

I have two 8320's configured with VSX and set up an LACP LAG / ISL. Both peers are showing up and w/o issue. I can ping everything on the second switch, but the second switch is unable to ping any IPs in the first switches route table that were learned via OSPF. Is this is a limited functionaltiy of VSX? I was under the impression that they shared route tables and traffic would just route over the ISL to the corresponding interface w/ the OSPF adjacency then out to the remote site. I can see the routes in vsx ip route table, but switch 2 seems to know nothing about it and says network unreachable when pinging. 

• 2.  RE: 8320 CX-OS 10.01 - VSX L3 Routing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 05, 2018 08:14 AM

Hello,

The routing table is not shared. VSX is a cluster technology with independant control plane. Each VSX node has to run routing protocol with their own router-ID. So, considering OSPF for instance, primary has adjacency with upstream routers as well as secondary. Likewise, you define a transit VLAN between primary and secondary to ensure IGP continuity in case primary or secondary upstream L3 link to routers fails. 

Capture3.JPG

• 3.  RE: 8320 CX-OS 10.01 - VSX L3 Routing

Posted Dec 05, 2018 12:03 PM

So in a collapsed core topology where I wanted to run active-gateway and vsx on just two switches with an OSPF link only coming into one switch; I would need an OSPF adjacency between the two switches on top of vsx? 

• 4.  RE: 8320 CX-OS 10.01 - VSX L3 Routing
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 06, 2018 08:30 AM

Exactly.