Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

8320 MC LAG stuck in INIT state OSPF

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  8320 MC LAG stuck in INIT state OSPF

Posted May 12, 2019 01:15 PM
    Hi all,

I have 2 x 8320’s and have one interface of each going into a firewall.

I’ve created a transit VLAN on each 8320 (vsx-sync) and have a gateway of .1

I’ve added OSPF info on this VLAN and it is peering fine from one of my 8320’s ... problem is when I disconnect this 8320 from the firewall (to test it automatically starts peering with the other 8320) - the OSPF state just stays in the ‘INIT’ state.

It always was in the INIT state but I presumed this was because the other 8320 had already formed adjacency ...

How can I set this to automatically fail over to the other 8320 in the event of a failure?

The OSPF is set to point-to-point if that makes any difference?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: 8320 MC LAG stuck in INIT state OSPF
    Best Answer

Posted May 12, 2019 02:27 PM
    I should say don’t use a virtual IP for the transit connection. Give each 8320 an established session to the firewall. For example use a /29 between the firewalls and 8320 and don’t use a vsx address. Or create two p2p connection for each 8320 one.

With this setup you have a more reliable solution because each 8320 has already an established ospf adjacency. Virtual IP’s in a ospf design is not advisable.

• 3.  RE: 8320 MC LAG stuck in INIT state OSPF

Posted May 12, 2019 03:37 PM
    Yes that worked much better - thanks

• 4.  RE: 8320 MC LAG stuck in INIT state OSPF

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 13, 2019 04:06 AM

Each 8320 runs its own control-plane and associated router-ID.

There is no Virtual IP for routing protocols. The VSX active-gateway

is a VIP for ARPing the default-gateway on endpoint subnet.

Regards,