Wired Intelligent Edge (Campus Switching and Routing)

Highlighted
MVP Guru

Re: 8320+VSF

For your project, the 8320 seems a very good fit. Don't hesitate to contact me: vincent.giles@hpe.com for a specific follow-up or your project. I may also introduce you to our Aruba Italian System Engineer.

Thanks.

Highlighted

Hi

As you are designing a DC network stick to comware as Aruba is mainly campus. With the number of ports and maybe a spine-leaf setup in the future the 5940 seams a good choice.

Hope it helps
Cheers, Frank
AirHeads MVP |AMFX#22| ACCX#613| ACMX#733| ACDX#744

If you like my posts, kudo's are welcome. If it solves your problem, please click 'Accept as Solution'
Highlighted
MVP Guru

Hello Frank,

I agree with you about HPE 5940: it was on top of my list of preferred switch series to be considered (I admit I feel pretty comfortable with IRF designs on Comware 7, given how broad is the IRF usage in DC....that's very reasonable)...strangely the HPE 5940 was defined too overrated by our supplier for our specific "Layer 2 only" usage scenario: personally I find that statement pretty questionable since the same could be said watching how features rich the Aruba 8320 is too.

Below non technical considerations that are OT and, possibly, deserve another thread:

A factor that kicked it in favour of Aruba 8320 choice - totally Off-Topic here if we limit our analysis about differents technology approaches both series use (e.g. IRF versus VSX or Comware 7 versus ArubaOS-CX) - was the solution final's cost...that one was about 10% more expensive for HPE 5940 than the Aruba 8320 in a "like-for-like" BoM comparison.

I really can't judge if the price difference we were faced looks reasonable or if it was, let me use this term, "artificially managed" by pushing one product over the other for marketing reasons...but, interestingly, if we start to look only at "chassis price" this one is much higher for an Aruba 8320 than for an HPE 5940...instead supported Aruba SFP+ Transceivers were way cheapers in comparison of equivalent HPE (Data Center marked) ones supported by the HPE 5940...so, in the end, the final solution cost rebalanced in favour of the Aruba 8320.

My take is that Aruba 8000 is the first and fresh attempt - with a totally new approach permitted by ArubaOS-CX operating system (and related SW/HW architectures) - to kick those high end switch series into the "placid" DC zone (ToR? Core?) providing required some - not all - of the typical DC features we're used to see.

Highlighted

Hi

Keep in mind that the 8320 is still missing DC features at the moment.
If L2 is the only thing needed, now and futurewise I would look at the 5700 in IRF.

Still I would not design a DC with Aruba switches at this moment.

Cheers, Frank

If you like my posts, kudo's are welcome. If it solves your problem, please click 'Accept as Solution'
Highlighted
MVP Guru

Hello Frank,

As I wrote we're pretty conscious that Aruba 8000 Switch series is not comparble, DC features speaking, with typical HPE 5xx0 Comware 7 based Switch series (first of all VSX is not IRF)...on the other hand, in our pure Layer 2 implementation, it should fit the bill quite well.

One side consideration to add would also be the horizon a product has both in terms of life expentancy and software development/support...even if I'm a fan of all which is Comware based, HPE 5700 included, I think Aruba 8320 has with respect to 5700, necessarily, a brighter future.

Highlighted

Hi

I disagree. The Comware based switches Have a future in DC, the 8320/8400 not primarily. Both have an OS build for its own area. Yes the 8320 will do the L2 work in the DC, but is not the best suited switch for it.

I think we should give a customer the best advise possible for now AND the future. I would go for Comware

That’s my $ 0.02.
Cheers, Frank

Highlighted
MVP Guru

I never wrote that entire Comware operating system based switch series is not going to have a future (in a DC environment or out of a DC environment)...about DC I substantially agree with you...in our scenario we are not properly speaking about a DC role for Aruba 8320 but only a placement into a DC...more, I just wrote that Aruba 8320 is going to have a brighter future with respect to older HPE 5700 (the HPE 5700 is somewhat older if compared to, as example, HPE 5940 or to Aruba 8320 and that it's a fact).

So, generally speaking about mid/high end Comware operating system based switch series, I actually would consider HPE 5940, not HPE 5700 (neither HPE 5900AF)...but it's always a matter of which role/feature you're going to use more.

P.S. I'm the customer...

Highlighted

Hi Davide,

Yes if you look only at the here and now, you could take an 8320 switch.

And yes the 5700 is a bit older then 5940 and above.

Looking at future i would not consider a campus switch in any DC deployment.

Cheers, Frank

Highlighted
MVP Guru

Your statement "Looking at future i would not consider a campus switch in any DC deployment." looks really categorical to me...my take is that, at this point, we have all to admit that Data Center definition can sometimes be loose enough to describe a scenario into which also an high end Core-Campus switch series like Aruba 8400/8320 can be deployed...or, at least, I hope so.

Highlighted

Hi,

Why does it look categorical?

For riding a bike you use a bicycle, for driving a car you use a car.

In most use cases an Campus switch will not be the best solution for a DC network. I would always go for a Comware based switch. Period.

But that is only my take on it. You are off course aloud to have your own.

I don't think we will see eye to eye on this one.

Cheers, Frank