Wired Intelligent Edge (Campus Switching and Routing)

This community is currently in a read-only state due to a maintenance window. For more info click here
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor II

AOS-CX Switch - Virtual Appliance (OVA) - Trunk ports dropping traffic

Hi Airheads,

I recently deployed the ArubaOS-CX virtual switch (OVA) in my lab (ESXi 6.7) for some TACACS testing.. I'm able to get the switch connected to my external network using an access port, but not using a trunk port. For reference, the upstream device has been configured to allow all VLANs with a PVID of 999 (no routable). VLAN 20 is to be used for switch connectivity on the default VRF. Is there something I'm missing that might apply to the virtual switch specifically? It seems like it's dropping tagged traffic.

Access:

interface 1/1/1
    no shutdown
    no routing
    vlan access 20
interface vlan20
    ip address 172.16.10.31/24
ip route 0.0.0.0/0 172.16.10.1

ArubaCX-Lab-SW1# ping 8.8.8.8
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8) 100(128) bytes of data.
76 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=1 ttl=115 (truncated)
76 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=2 ttl=115 (truncated)
76 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=3 ttl=115 (truncated)
76 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=4 ttl=115 (truncated)
^C

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3003ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 18.433/19.725/21.600/1.216 ms

Trunk:

vlan 20
	name Lab-Data
vlan 999
	name VLAN-Drop
interface 1/1/1
	no shutdown
	no routing
	vlan trunk native 999
	vlan trunk allowed all
interface vlan20
	ip address 172.16.10.31/24
ip route 0.0.0.0/0 172.16.10.1

Aruba-CX-Lab-SW1# ping 8.8.8.8
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8) 100(128) bytes of data.

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, 4111ms

Accepted Solutions
MVP Guru

Re: AOS-CX Switch - Virtual Appliance (OVA) - Trunk ports dropping traffic

Hi! so the peer device has a NIC port configured to have PVID (Port VLAN Id) equal to 999...but, AFAIK, if you're playing with ESXi the vSwitch where that NIC port is connected to (vnic) should be agnostic...is the related Port Group that should have the VLAN id set to none (default) as per untagged packets or set to the VLAN id you need if you're creating a relationship with Tagged VLAN Id on switch side. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
MVP Guru

Hi! so the peer device has a NIC port configured to have PVID (Port VLAN Id) equal to 999...but, AFAIK, if you're playing with ESXi the vSwitch where that NIC port is connected to (vnic) should be agnostic...is the related Port Group that should have the VLAN id set to none (default) as per untagged packets or set to the VLAN id you need if you're creating a relationship with Tagged VLAN Id on switch side. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor II

That's the part I was missing(!). Reconfigured the port group for vlan ID 4095 in VMware and the switch was much happier:

REgan_0-1594682379712.png

Highlighted
MVP Guru

Nice, the attached image is too small...I didn't know about VLAN Id 4095 mode on Port Group...I usually go with a VLAN id for each Port Group so in a Port Group that should accept untagged traffic I simply set its VLAN id to 0 (None) which, AFAIK, means disabling VLAN tagging on that port group (EST Mode), in favor of VLAN untagging, I add.

VLAN id 4095 use case looks like when a Port Group is going to receive various concurrent VLAN id(s) all tagged.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor II

Correct! - It looks like VID of 4095 in a VMware Port Group will accept all tagged traffic so it should work with trunk ports on the CX.

Also, I made the image bigger. - Thanks again for your help!

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: