Wired Intelligent Edge (Campus Switching and Routing)

Occasional Contributor I

Active-Gateways vs Active-Forwarding

Hi,

What is the best practise for when to use Active-Gateways and when to use Active-Forwarding as they are mutually exclusive.

For example: For a Data SVI, I would imagine using Active-Gateways would serve a better purpose due to it offering first hop redundancy. If true, you lose the active-forwarding feature, so I assume traffic will need to pass through the ISL. So when is it best to use Active-Gateways, and when is it best to use Active-Forwarding?

Many Thanks 

Re: Active-Gateways vs Active-Forwarding

Active-gateway is the default gateway Virtual IP for client subnet

whereas active-forwarding is an optional setting for upstream L3 connectivity in case of VSX LAG and transit VLANs. Active-Forwarding is useless on dowstream VSX LAG to access-switches

and as well as not an option for upstream Routed port. Only for VSX LAG upstream with transit VLANs.

Here is a summary.

Frequent Contributor II

This may give you an idea.

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wired-Intelligent-Edge-Campus/Aruba-8320-and-ArubaOS-CX-Experience/td-p/442723/page/4

--Give Kudos: found something helpful, important, or cool? Click Kudos Star in a post.
--Problem Solved? Click "Accepted Solution" in a post.

Ajay Kumar Ravipati
ACMA (V8) | ACMP (V8) | CCENT | CCNA (R&S) | PAN-OS 8.0 ACE
New Contributor

Hi Vincent, 

I understand why you wouldnt use Active-Forwarding. I think what BC123 is trying to ask is "In what scenario would you want to use Active-Forwarding". 

IF you had a pair of 8325 (VSX), connected to two Firewalls running active-active then Active-Forwarding would make sense (there would be ECMP routes).

In our scenario we have a pair of 8325's (VSX) connecting to two Firewalls northbound in Active-Passive mode so I assume there would be no need for Active-Forwarding on the transit vlan, is this correct?

Thanks, 

Cole

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: