Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Add additional switch to existing 2930F VSF stack

This thread has been viewed 15 times
  • 1.  Add additional switch to existing 2930F VSF stack

Posted Mar 23, 2018 01:10 PM

I currently have two 2930F (the 48 port + SFP+ flavor) in a VSF stack, using a single DAC cable between them (they are two feet apart in the same rack).  I plan to order a third 2930F to put in a rack on a different floor, and will run fiber between the two racks so I can connect the new switch at 10Gb.  If possible, I would like to make it a third member of the stack.

Questions:

1.  Can I add a third member without affecting the config of the existing members?

2.  Can I mix 10Gb DAC and 10Gb fiber connections in a VSF stack?

My plan would be to leave the SW1<-->SW2 DAC cable connection in place, and to add fiber connections between SW1 and SW3, as well as SW2 and SW3 (I will have 12 MM strands available once the fiber is in). 

Thanks for any assistance in assuring my plan will work.

• 2.  RE: Add additional switch to existing 2930F VSF stack

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2018 04:39 PM

Hi CHTN, 

Yes, you can add an additional VSF member without any effects on the other two.  

It's best to use the process in the management and configuration guide starting on page 742 (Use Case 4 - Adding a switch to a stack).

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=a00038765en_us

As long as the ports are the same speed, you can mix DAC and fiber.

Regards, 

Justin

• 3.  RE: Add additional switch to existing 2930F VSF stack

Posted Apr 03, 2018 04:54 PM

Thanks for the link to the document, as well as the page number.  :)

It will be a couple of weeks before I can implement this (just ordered the 12 strand OM3 fiber needed to connect the two network racks today).  Right now, the VSF ports are 1/49 and 2/49. 

Here's what I think I need to do:

1. Add an additional VSF port to each existing switch (say 1/50 and 2/50)
    2. Ensure the firmware of the new switch matches the firmware on the stack, and that the new switch is in a factory default state
    3. Connect one port on new switch to the new VSF port on Switch 1, and one port on new switch to the new VSF port on Switch 2.

With that, the new switch should join the stack, and a ring should be formed, correct?

Thanks again!

• 4.  RE: Add additional switch to existing 2930F VSF stack

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2018 05:20 PM

Correct.  That should work.

Justin

• 5.  RE: Add additional switch to existing 2930F VSF stack

Posted Nov 15, 2019 04:52 AM

Hi, thanks for the information. I now have also a new 2930F, same firmware version as the existing ones in the stack, but a different BootROM version. Would that be an issue regarding adding the switch?

The new one has  WC.16.01.0005, the old ones  WC.16.01.0004

Thank you!