Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Adding a Root Certificate to a Switch

This thread has been viewed 85 times
  • 1.  Adding a Root Certificate to a Switch

Posted Dec 22, 2018 07:32 AM

NOTE: These steps are not required in ArubaOS-Switch 16.08 and ClearPass 6.7.8.

Overview

A root certificate is required on a switch when it is doing downloadable user roles (DUR) or sending fingerprinting data back to ClearPass. The process is documented in several places (eg http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wired-Intelligent-Edge-Campus/What-is-Device-Fingerprinting-How-do-you-configure-Device/m-p/449426), but the first time I tried it, I had to keep looking up intermediate steps that were not spelled out. I documented the whole process, and hopefully that will be useful to others.

The most recent release of switch firmware 16.08 provides some enhancements that makes the process of adding the root certificate even easier.

See https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wired-Intelligent-Edge-Campus/Low-Cost-Certificates-in-the-Lab/td-p/513693 for info on obtaining certificates and DNS management.

Starting Point
    This document starts after you have a working certificate on your ClearPass server. (There are already published processes for this; I will probably post some details about my experiences setting up up and managing free SSL certs and managing them later.)

This is two different versions of what the switch shows initially:

Train-core(config)# sh crypto pki ta-profile
      Profile Name    Profile Status                 CRL Configured  OCSP Configured
      --------------- ------------------------------ --------------- ---------------
      IDEVID_ROOT     Root Certificate Installed
    2930F-31(config)# sh crypto pki ta-profile Profile Name Profile Status CRL Configured OCSP Configured --------------- ------------------------------ --------------- --------------- IDEVID_ROOT Root Certificate Installed COMODO_CA Root Certificate Installed No No GEOTRUST_CA Root Certificate Installed No No ARUBA_CA Root Certificate Installed No No ADDTRUST_CA Root Certificate Installed No No

The aim is to add the root certificate used by ClearPass to the switch.

Extract Root Cert from ClearPass
    Browse to ClearPass; note the padlock indicating a valid https certificate.
    addcert - browse clearpass.png
    Right-click on the Site Information block, and view certificate
    addcert - view clearpass.png

addcert - certificate general.png
    Choose the Certification Path tab, and select the topmost certificate (DST Root CA X3). addcert - certification path.png

View Root Certificate.
    addcert05 - root general.png
    Click the Details tab, and Copy to File.
    addcert06 - copy to file.png
    This will bring up the Export Wizard
    addcert07 - export.png
    Choose the Base-64 encoded option
    addcert08 - base64.png
    Save to a suitable location, leave at defaults, Finish.

On your switch
    This is the point where you continue to follow the docs for wired security (https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Security/ClearPass-Solution-Guide-Wired-Policy-Enforcement/m-p/298161, p20 switch configuration).

Create a new ta-profile on the switch. You can call it anything, but it would be sensible to refer to the root certificate ID.

2930F-31(config)# sh crypto pki ta-profile
      COMODO_CA       Root Certificate Installed     No              No
      GEOTRUST_CA     Root Certificate Installed     No              No
      ARUBA_CA        Root Certificate Installed     No              No
      ADDTRUST_CA     Root Certificate Installed     No              No
      DST-Root-CA-X3  Pending Root Certificate In... No              No

The new ta-profile will say "pending" until the certificate is copied to the switch.

2930F-31(config)# copy tftp ta-certificate DST-Root-CA-X3 10.20.30.248 DST-Root-
    CA-X3.cer
    000M Transfer is successful
    2930F-31(config)# sh crypto pki ta-profile
      COMODO_CA       Root Certificate Installed     No              No
      GEOTRUST_CA     Root Certificate Installed     No              No
      ARUBA_CA        Root Certificate Installed     No              No
      ADDTRUST_CA     Root Certificate Installed     No              No
      DST-Root-CA-X3  Root Certificate Installed     No              No

The certificate is now installed and ready to use.

Errors
    These are some of the error conditions you may encounter

Incorrect cert type or format
    p12 format doesn't work

Colourless(config)# copy tftp ta-certificate vm-syd-cppm 10.20.30.99 vm-syd-cppm_HTTPSServerCertificate.p12
    Invalid file format. Only PEM or DER format certificates are supported.

PEM format (converted using openssl)

Colourless(config)# copy tftp ta-certificate vm-syd-cppm 10.20.30.99 vm-syd-cppm_HTTPS.crt.pem
    Invalid file format. Only PEM or DER format certificates are supported.

Different PEM format

Colourless(config)# copy tftp ta-certificate vm-syd-cppm 10.20.30.99 vm-syd-cppm_HTTPS.crt.pem
    Invalid Trust Anchor certificate.

From log:
    `W 08/18/18 14:44:19 03415 crypto: Attempted to install certificate containing formatting errors.

Wildcard Certificate
    if you use a wildcard cert instead of a cert issued to a specific FQDN, you will see a error like this
    addcert11 - not secure.png
    Even though the site is being access by HTTPS with a valid certificate, the certificate is a wildcard. The initial error message is NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID
    This is why a specific certificate for web servers is recommended.
    addcert12 - connection not private.pngAlways use a proper certificate.

Self-signed
    Self-signed certificates won't work. I also found that intermediate certificates did not work (even though at least one manual said that it should work).

http://h22208.www2.hpe.com/eginfolib/networking/docs/switches/K-KA-KB/15-18/5998-8150_access_security_guide/content/v25051427.html
    The file is checked immediately upon completion of transfer and results written to the CLI. The file can be in PEM-encoded or DER-encoded (binary) PKCS#7 format. If the certificate subject matches an existing TA certificate associated with the specified TA profile, then the new certificate updates the existing certificate.

Any certificate which is a root or intermediate certificate will be accepted as a TA certificate. There is no check for the subject.

• 2.  RE: Adding a Root Certificate to a Switch

MVP GURU
    Posted Dec 22, 2018 07:53 AM

Thanks

there is a easy way to have a Let Encrypt certificate on ClearPass ?!

• 3.  RE: Adding a Root Certificate to a Switch

Posted Jan 04, 2019 10:21 AM

Nice writeup :)

And grrr - I misinterpreted 16.08 - and thought it automatically downloaded the RootCA cert.. Why do A when they could've done it all in one go.. ;)

Errors you will see if you haven't done this part correctly when trying to 

"role is invalid"

cheers!

• 4.  RE: Adding a Root Certificate to a Switch

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 04, 2019 10:29 AM
    These steps are not required with 16.08 and ClearPass 6.7.8.

• 5.  RE: Adding a Root Certificate to a Switch

Posted Jan 04, 2019 02:08 PM
    Thanks for the heads up Tim! With 16.08 and 6.7.7 I had to do it, but I'll try with 6.7.8.

• 6.  RE: Adding a Root Certificate to a Switch

Posted Aug 29, 2019 01:35 PM

Hey John,

Were you able to get the switch to download and apply certificate from Clearpass? I see it can download it but not sure where it places it. It does not apply it to my TA-Profile. I am sure I am missing a basic step! 

• 7.  RE: Adding a Root Certificate to a Switch

Posted Aug 30, 2019 12:45 AM
    Hey!
    You need a certain minimum software on both Clearpass and switch for this to happen automatically. 16.08.003 and 6.7.8 if I remember correctly.
    Download is done by https so ensure that is open if fw between.