Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Adding member to an ArubaOS-CX stack

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  Adding member to an ArubaOS-CX stack

Posted Feb 18, 2020 08:48 AM

I was labbing how to add a 3rd switch when I have an existing stack of two swithces, but this doesn't seem to be working that well and second switch gets booted also

I had this configuration:

vsf member 1
        type jl665a
        link 1 1/1/51-1/1/52
    vsf member 2
        type jl665a
        link 2 2/1/51-2/1/52

My idea was to remove port 1/1/52 from link 1 and add it to link 2, so that I could add 3/1/51 --> 1/1/52. However after removing that interface from link 1 the second switch gets rebooted.

Any ideas how to increase the size of the stack without booting extra switches?

• 2.  RE: Adding member to an ArubaOS-CX stack

Posted Feb 18, 2020 08:55 AM

Ah, seems that without doing any config changes, the stack can't handle removing one fiber pair physically. Doesn't matter which one I take out, the second switch boots. I was hoping having two links between switches would provide redundancy

• 3.  RE: Adding member to an ArubaOS-CX stack
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 18, 2020 01:48 PM

Greetings!

There is a bug in AOS-CX versions prior to 10.04.0030 for the 6300 series in which removing a redundant VSF link interface in a 2-member stack causes the standby member to crash and reboot. This issue was fixed in version 10.04.0030 that is now available on the Aruba Support Portal.

• 4.  RE: Adding member to an ArubaOS-CX stack

Posted Feb 18, 2020 01:53 PM

Ah that's good to hear, I was thinking about updating the software but decided to investigate with out of the box setup... though in real world the stack would probably work fine until we got the software updated.

I also managed to get the second switch to endless loop cycle by not connecting the second stack link back. I'll try with the updated software and try to create all the fault scenarios again

We also had problems doing the stack with mobile software, I've managed to do it once but colleague didn't manage to create the stack. We both had 2.0.12 on Android, wonder if it has anything to do with this bug. And hopefully Aruba will ship with newer software in the spring when we actually want to get few hundreds of these