Wired Intelligent Edge (Campus Switching and Routing)

Highlighted
Regular Contributor II

Advice on adding switches to a MAS stack

I've added switches to an existing stack of S2500s and had both good and very bad experiences with it. I wonder if anyone would share what's considered best practices for doing this.

The issue is that we're taking switches that previously were used in a different switch stack and may have been the primary switch in that stack and wanting that switch to be line card in its new stack. I don't want it to join the stack and try to take over as primary because it's been factory defaulted and has no configuration. I've had the experience of a switch doing just that in a live production environment - it wasn't fun..... 

What I've done to prevent the bad experiences I've had in the past is to:

- upgrade the firmware on the switch to the same version as the switches in the stack it will be going to;

- run the 'restore factory-default stacking' command on the switch to try to remove the stacking database that it had;

- set the election priority on the switch to a number below the default (I arbitrarily chose 50).

My concern is that, despite doing these steps, the switch still shows its role as primary - probably because it's a standalone at this point - but it also doesn't allow me to set it to a different role, probably for the same reason.

Is there a sure way of doing this that will result in the desired outcome? I have read the documentation, but it doesn't seem to address this directly.

Highlighted
MVP Guru

Re: Advice on adding switches to a MAS stack

With MAS being end-of-sale for some time, I'm not sure how many people are extending stacks.

Please check the documentation on ArubaStack, especially the part on ArubaStack pre-provisioning which allows you to prepare the stack and make sure the newly added node will become a line-card.

Then also check this post, which seems to mention exactly what you experience.

Also, you may check with Aruba Support if these switches are still covered under active support.

--
If you have urgent issues, please contact your Aruba partner or Aruba TAC (click for contact details).
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor II

Re: Advice on adding switches to a MAS stack

This is the procedure I have used in the past:

* remove the switch from the previous stack

* factory reset it and upgrade it to the software running in the new stack

* change the stack-profile in the new stack and enter the serial number and role of the new switch

* connect the switch to the new stack

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: